Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> on 2014/12/02 23:29:38 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Rejecting "Quick Office Pro" messages

There's an app for Apple devices called Quick Office Pro. It is totally
unrelated to OpenOffice project and code. A link to it is
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/quickoffice-pro/id889011512?mt=8

They link to http://openoffice.org for user support. This results in
many off-topic requests to the users list and in damage for the
OpenOffice reputation; also, the app is not free, so they ask for refund
and confuse our users. (We are trying, by the way, to get that app
removed from the store, but it's a parallel course of action).

Moderators on the users list have been considering to reject messages
related to "Quick Office Pro" and to accompany rejection with a message
explaining that OpenOffice has nothing (at a project level or code
level) to do with Quick Office Pro, that the Quick Office Pro developers
are abusing our support channels and that users should report the app to
the Store where they bought it.

Since there are concerns that the power to decide what to reject can be
too subjective, I'm asking that we (subject to lazy consensus) agree
that "Quick Office Pro" posts can be rejected with the explanation note
described above. This will get irrelevant messages out of the list and
avoid dangerous misunderstandings: I've personally replied to several
such posts and I've seen other users get confused and believe that the
reports applied to OpenOffice instead of Quick Office Pro, thus leading
to even more confusion. A well-written rejection notice can be much more
effective.

If you have very, very valid concerns against this please speak up;
otherwise I recommend that you realize that we virtually anything else
is more important than Quick Office Pro, so if you, unlike me, have a
lot of free time, you can spend it in more productive ways!

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Rejecting "Quick Office Pro" messages

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Marcus wrote:
> In general +1. But I would like to see the complete text that should be
> used as general message when rejecting mails. @Andrea: Can you state
> this in a separate paragraph?

Something like http://markmail.org/message/vsonyy6jhnrgn7uq (with the
obvious minor adjustments):
   ---
That app claims to come from OpenOffice, but this is not true. It is
totally unrelated to the OpenOffice project http://openoffice.org ;
please report the app to the App Store. And of course we can't help you
since this mailing list is for volunteer support for OpenOffice users,
sorry.
   ---

> And it shouldn't be limited to users@ but should be used for all - also
> for dev@.

So far we've seen the problem on the users@ list only, but I agree to
apply it to dev@ too (messages will be even more off-topic here).

Other solutions, like the redirect based on the HTTP referrer, can
proceed in parallel, and while they are probably overkill for this case
they are a powerful tool which would be nice to have.

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 12/03/2014 12:23 AM, schrieb Kay Schenk:

> On 12/02/2014 02:29 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> Since there are concerns that the power to decide what to reject can be
>> too subjective, I'm asking that we (subject to lazy consensus) agree
>> that "Quick Office Pro" posts can be rejected with the explanation note
>> described above. This will get irrelevant messages out of the list and
>> avoid dangerous misunderstandings: I've personally replied to several
>> such posts and I've seen other users get confused and believe that the
>> reports applied to OpenOffice instead of Quick Office Pro, thus leading
>> to even more confusion. A well-written rejection notice can be much more
>> effective.
>>
>> [...]

> +1 on this proposal. And...

In general +1. But I would like to see the complete text that should be
used as general message when rejecting mails. @Andrea: Can you state
this in a separate paragraph?

And it shouldn't be limited to users@ but should be used for all - also
for dev@.

Marcus

RE: [PROPOSAL] Rejecting "Quick Office Pro" messages

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
+1

On 12/02/2014 02:29 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
[ ... ]
> Since there are concerns that the power to decide what to reject can be
> too subjective, I'm asking that we (subject to lazy consensus) agree
> that "Quick Office Pro" posts can be rejected with the explanation note
> described above. This will get irrelevant messages out of the list and
> avoid dangerous misunderstandings: I've personally replied to several
> such posts and I've seen other users get confused and believe that the
> reports applied to OpenOffice instead of Quick Office Pro, thus leading
> to even more confusion. A well-written rejection notice can be much more
> effective.
[ ... ]

+1 on this proposal. And...

I think we should be contacting Quick Office Pro about changing their
support information if we haven't already.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Rejecting "Quick Office Pro" messages

Posted by Peter Kelly <ke...@gmail.com>.
> On 3 Dec 2014, at 9:15 am, Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 02 Dec2014, at 21:05, jonathon <to...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 03/12/14 00:01, Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:
>>
>>> The ® name for them is “Quickoffice®-Pro”.
>>
>> That is the name of the software.
>> I've seen three or four different names for the vendor.
>>
>>> Who then is getting this money?
>>
>> Scammers.
>
> Well, maybe. Recall that Google owns Quickoffice. They distribute their incorporated version as Google Docs, even for iOS. It is possible that the Lee Elman I’ve contacted via LinkedIn is a “scammer.” But also perhaps not. Apple’s iTunes Store is, as I noted, hardly the garden of sanity one might hope to find.

I’m willing to bet a lot of money that this is a scammer. There are literally hundreds of rip-off apps on the app store re-using common names, some even being exact copies of other apps which are stripped of their DRM and re-signed using the scammer’s certificate. I myself have been burnt by this, both by people selling copies of UX Write under different names, and also using the UX Write name to sell a different app (which was a copy of Dataviz’s Documents to Go).

Apple don’t care. You have to put in a *lot* of effort for them to take down or fix a case of infringement (in my case this meant personally meeting with app store representatives at WWDC). Usually they’ll just refer you to their legal department, who will then ask you to resolve the issue directly with the developer. And in this case it’s not even the OpenOffice trademark being violated - IANAL, but I would assume an incorrect link wouldn’t qualify.

Probably the only viable way to get it changed is to submit a request to http://www.apple.com/legal/internet-services/itunes/appstorenotices/ <http://www.apple.com/legal/internet-services/itunes/appstorenotices/> and with luck they will give you the email address of the person who uploaded it. Then that person can be contacted and asked to change the link (which shouldn’t make any difference to them as they can continue to make money off of the QuickOffice trademark). The actual trademark violation is a separate issue, and one for Google/Apple to deal with.

--
Dr. Peter M. Kelly
kellypmk@gmail.com

Re: [PROPOSAL] Rejecting "Quick Office Pro" messages

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
> On 02 Dec2014, at 21:43, jonathon <to...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On 03/12/14 02:15, Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:
>
>> Recall that Google owns Quickoffice.
>
> I do not assume that any of the programs carrying the QuickOffice
> moniker in the iTunes store is the same program that Google distributed.
>
> Lee Elman is just as likely to be a victim as Apache OpenOffice is.
>
>> The issue that concerns us, Apache OpenOffice, is narrow.
>> Whom we complain to, however, implies a larger issue. Eg, do we
> complain to Apple? To Google? to both? I suggested both.
>
> Attorney-General of the State of California, for violation of the
> consumer protection laws in the States of California.
>
> (There are some advantages to states that think that their legal
> jurisdiction encompasses the entire known and unknown multiverse,
> regardless of what residents and claimants of other legal jurisdictions
> think about that presumption.)
>
> jonathon

j—
I agree with you. I’d like, however, for the other hugely rich companies to do their bit and put their houses in order, as the disorder is affecting us, an open source entity with nothing like the resources they have. Laws in this case may be (ideally) impartial but getting the legal machinery to move usually requires big resources.

Cheers,
louis

Re: [PROPOSAL] Rejecting "Quick Office Pro" messages

Posted by jonathon <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
> On 02 Dec2014, at 21:05, jonathon <to...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On 03/12/14 00:01, Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:
>
>> The ® name for them is “Quickoffice®-Pro”.
>
> That is the name of the software.
> I've seen three or four different names for the vendor.
>
>> Who then is getting this money?
>
> Scammers.

Well, maybe. Recall that Google owns Quickoffice. They distribute their incorporated version as Google Docs, even for iOS. It is possible that the Lee Elman I’ve contacted via LinkedIn is a “scammer.” But also perhaps not. Apple’s iTunes Store is, as I noted, hardly the garden of sanity one might hope to find.

The issue that concerns us, Apache OpenOffice, is narrow. Whom we complain to, however, implies a larger issue. Eg, do we complain to Apple? To Google? to both? I suggested both. Rob and Simon have since also intervened with suggestions with immediate effect.

-louis

Re: [PROPOSAL] Rejecting "Quick Office Pro" messages

Posted by jonathon <to...@gmail.com>.

On 03/12/14 00:01, Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:

>The ® name for them is “Quickoffice®-Pro”.

That is the name of the software.
I've seen three or four different names for the vendor.

> Who then is getting this money?

Scammers.

jonathon

  * English - detected
  * English

  * English

 <javascript:void(0);>

Re: [PROPOSAL] Rejecting "Quick Office Pro" messages

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
> On 02 Dec2014, at 18:23, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On 12/02/2014 02:29 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> There's an app for Apple devices called Quick Office Pro. It is totally
>> unrelated to OpenOffice project and code. A link to it is
>> https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/quickoffice-pro/id889011512?mt=8
>>
>> They link to http://openoffice.org for user support. This results in
>> many off-topic requests to the users list and in damage for the
>> OpenOffice reputation; also, the app is not free, so they ask for refund
>> and confuse our users. (We are trying, by the way, to get that app
>> removed from the store, but it's a parallel course of action).
>>
>> Moderators on the users list have been considering to reject messages
>> related to "Quick Office Pro" and to accompany rejection with a message
>> explaining that OpenOffice has nothing (at a project level or code
>> level) to do with Quick Office Pro, that the Quick Office Pro developers
>> are abusing our support channels and that users should report the app to
>> the Store where they bought it.
>>
>> Since there are concerns that the power to decide what to reject can be
>> too subjective, I'm asking that we (subject to lazy consensus) agree
>> that "Quick Office Pro" posts can be rejected with the explanation note
>> described above. This will get irrelevant messages out of the list and
>> avoid dangerous misunderstandings: I've personally replied to several
>> such posts and I've seen other users get confused and believe that the
>> reports applied to OpenOffice instead of Quick Office Pro, thus leading
>> to even more confusion. A well-written rejection notice can be much more
>> effective.
>>
>> If you have very, very valid concerns against this please speak up;
>> otherwise I recommend that you realize that we virtually anything else
>> is more important than Quick Office Pro, so if you, unlike me, have a
>> lot of free time, you can spend it in more productive ways!
>>
>> Regards,
>>  Andrea.
>
> +1 on this proposal. And...
>
> I think we should be contacting Quick Office Pro about changing their
> support information if we haven't already.

+1 to get “them” to stop sending folks to us. But the issue is not so simple….. and requires some contact with Google and also Apple, I think. The story is interesting.

Actually, I’m kind of surprised they are doing this. But also a correction. The ® name for them is “Quickoffice®-Pro”. They were acquired by Google 5 June 2012, and on 29 June 2014, after having digested them, Google discontinued the app from its Google Play and App Stores.*

Supposedly, and I had thought this, Google made it all free and integrated into its Docs. Indeed if you click on the official Website given us by Wikipedia, you’ll find yourself in Google land.

Not so if you click on the link Andrea put out. Click on the “Lee Elman Web site” or the “Quickoffice® - Pro Support” links and you’ll get… us.

Lee Elman is also hard to track down, at least if you only spend 10 seconds. I looked at the Lee Elman in LinkedIn who also does “One Nation TV” (listed on the link Andrea sent as also made by the same maker as Quickoffice), and got this guy who is the COO of One Nation TV in NYC, NY, and who does not list at all any mention of Quickoffice, let alone Google.

Who then is getting this money? I mean, once, long ago, and well prior to the acquisition by Google, I downloaded the free version of Quickoffice but surely there are those who are paying for it… and who’s getting it?

Recall, this product was one that Google acquired and incorporated into its *free* Docs.

Apple’s iTunes Store is notorious for mixing payment, product identity, and so on. In this case, the issues are complicated by the fact that this is for iOS and not Android, though Google Docs works fine on iOS. It’s further complicated by them (whoever they are) sending people to us (we know who we are, at least).

And it’s further messed up by question mark: who’s getting this money? That’s not really of our concern, but is of concern.

I would recommend contacting Apple, Google. I tried already to connect with Lee Elman via LinkedIn and will send him a friendly query, to find out what’s up and is he responsible for sending people to AOO…. I’m curious.

Best
louis

Re: [PROPOSAL] Rejecting "Quick Office Pro" messages

Posted by Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>.
On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 1:26 PM, Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com> wrote:

> I just spoke with the owner of the Apple developer account for the app. He
> tells me it had been used by a subcontractor, that it was unrelated to his
> real business (online TV) and that he would immediately remove the app from
> the iTunes store now he's seen what they did.

Following up:  The app causing the unwanted e-mail traffic has now been
removed from the App Store (as have most of the other scams I mentioned in
my InfoWorld article).

S.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Rejecting "Quick Office Pro" messages

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 03/12/2014 Simon Phipps wrote:
> I just spoke with the owner of the Apple developer account for the app. He
> tells me it had been used by a subcontractor, that it was unrelated to his
> real business (online TV) and that he would immediately remove the app from
> the iTunes store now he's seen what they did.

Thanks, if that was serious (on his side, of course) this will indeed
solve the problem. I see the app is no longer available at the link I
posted earlier; this of course does not guarantee that it won't
resurface at a different URL, but it solves the immediate problem.

It looks like that with this and with the (still pending, but with no
objections so far) consensus on rejecting "Quick Office Pro" messages
with an appropriate explanation, we are well-equipped to solve the issue.

Posted by Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>.

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <ro...@gmail.com>.
+1 and +1 on Kay's idea.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 12/03/2014 02:34 AM, schrieb Rob Weir:
> On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 7:43 PM, Simon Phipps<si...@webmink.com>  wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 12:30 AM, Rob Weir<ro...@robweir.com>  wrote:
>>>

>>> Is there a way we could handle it even earlier, at the Apache server
>>> level?   Detect the incoming link based on the referrer as ones coming
>>> from the offending website and then redirect that to a custom webpage
>>> where we explain to the user that we are not QuickOffice Pro?   If we
>>> do that then we would get no (or far fewer) emails, right?
>>>

>> I doubt there will be a common referrer as the links on
>>
>> https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/quickoffice-pro/id889011512?mt=8
>>
>> just point to openoffice.org and the users getting through seem to be smart
>> enough to find a contact address.  But if there was a way to do that it
>> would be even better, yes.
>>

> I understand.  It should be possible to detect and redirect all
> incoming website requests that originate from
> https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/quickoffice-pro/id889011512
>
> This could be done preferably at the Apache HTTP Server level, or
> (less reliably) on our home page with a Javascript redirect:
>
> <script>
>      if ( window.document.referrer.indexOf(
> "/itunes.apple.com/gb/app/quickoffice-pro/id889011512" ) != -1 ) {
>         location.href = "http://www.openoffice.org/new-special-page.html";
>      }
>
> </script>

ah, good idea as long as the app is still in the store - or at least the
wrong link.

I can take care of this as soon as SVN is working again.

Marcus

Re: [PROPOSAL] Rejecting "Quick Office Pro" messages

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

On 12/02/2014 05:34 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 7:43 PM, Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 12:30 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@robweir.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> Is there a way we could handle it even earlier, at the Apache server
>>> level?   Detect the incoming link based on the referrer as ones coming
>>> from the offending website and then redirect that to a custom webpage
>>> where we explain to the user that we are not QuickOffice Pro?   If we
>>> do that then we would get no (or far fewer) emails, right?
>>>

>> I doubt there will be a common referrer as the links on
>>
>> https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/quickoffice-pro/id889011512?mt=8
>>
>> just point to openoffice.org and the users getting through seem to be smart
>> enough to find a contact address.  But if there was a way to do that it
>> would be even better, yes.
>>

> I understand.  It should be possible to detect and redirect all
> incoming website requests that originate from
> https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/quickoffice-pro/id889011512
>
> This could be done preferably at the Apache HTTP Server level, or
> (less reliably) on our home page with a Javascript redirect:
>
> <script>
>     if ( window.document.referrer.indexOf(
> "/itunes.apple.com/gb/app/quickoffice-pro/id889011512" ) != -1 ) {
>        location.href = "http://www.openoffice.org/new-special-page.html";
>     }
>
> </script>
>

> Regards,
>
> -Rob

I'm strongly supportive of something like this in the interim. Google
"owns" the name and it's clear Lee Elman has (at least) violated some
kind of trademark rules/uses. We should report this to both Google and
Apple (iTunes) at this point.

The fact that Lee Elman has decided www.openoffice.org is the "Lee Elman
Web Site" is directly of concern to us.

If Rob feels so inclined, I'm good with Lazy Consensus for the script
addition and whatever "new-special-page.html" might contain.

Posted by Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>.
On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 1:34 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@robweir.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 7:43 PM, Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 12:30 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@robweir.com> wrote:
> >>

> >> Is there a way we could handle it even earlier, at the Apache server
> >> level?   Detect the incoming link based on the referrer as ones coming
> >> from the offending website and then redirect that to a custom webpage
> >> where we explain to the user that we are not QuickOffice Pro?   If we
> >> do that then we would get no (or far fewer) emails, right?
> >>

> > I doubt there will be a common referrer as the links on
> >
> > https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/quickoffice-pro/id889011512?mt=8
> >
> > just point to openoffice.org and the users getting through seem to be
> smart
> > enough to find a contact address.  But if there was a way to do that it
> > would be even better, yes.
> >

> I understand.  It should be possible to detect and redirect all
> incoming website requests that originate from
> https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/quickoffice-pro/id889011512
>
> This could be done preferably at the Apache HTTP Server level, or
> (less reliably) on our home page with a Javascript redirect:
>
> <script>
>     if ( window.document.referrer.indexOf(
> "/itunes.apple.com/gb/app/quickoffice-pro/id889011512" ) != -1 ) {
>        location.href = "http://www.openoffice.org/new-special-page.html";
>     }
>
> </script>

Ah right, I read your initial proposal as scanning e-mails, sorry.  The
referrer would need to be a pattern since there are many App Stores all
over the place, but that should certainly reduce the number of queries.

S.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Rejecting "Quick Office Pro" messages

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@robweir.com>.

Posted by Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@robweir.com>.