Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by jkhanal <kh...@gmail.com> on 2008/11/12 18:11:54 UTC

When to use the option "Retrieve All Embedded Resources from HTML Files"

Hi All,

I am using Proxy Server to record the use case for Load Testing in JMeter.
In "HTTP Request Defaults" there is option to select "Retrieve All Embedded
Resources from HTML Files". I am doing web based testing. I am not clear in
which scenario do we need to select this option and in which it does not.
Also, what is the difference between selecting and not selecting this option
and how it impacts in Load Testing?

Your response on this issue will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jagan

Re: When to use the option "Retrieve All Embedded Resources from HTML Files"

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 12/11/2008, jkhanal <kh...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  Hi All,
>
>  I am using Proxy Server to record the use case for Load Testing in JMeter.
>  In "HTTP Request Defaults" there is option to select "Retrieve All Embedded
>  Resources from HTML Files". I am doing web based testing. I am not clear in
>  which scenario do we need to select this option and in which it does not.

The option just means that the samplers will be created with the
corresponding option selected.

>  Also, what is the difference between selecting and not selecting this option

The option specifies whether or not to download embedded resources
such as style-sheets and images that would normall be downloaded by a
browser (depending on the browser options of course).

>  and how it impacts in Load Testing?

Try it and see?

The current version of JMeter has a Cache Manager

http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/component_reference.html#HTTP_Cache_Manager

which attempts to simulate what browsers do (if they are set up to cache files).

However it does not track how much disk space would be used by the
files, and so corresponds to using a browser with no cache limit.

If you use embedded + Cache Manager that should be reasonably close to
what a browser does.