Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> on 2015/04/12 19:18:24 UTC

MediaWiki missing "new account" icon/Link?

Hello all --

I know we're basically "whitelisting" both CWiki and MWiki accounts, but
currently I do not find a "Register" link on any OpenOffice Wiki
(https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Main_Page)
pages. Was this removed and I didn't notice?

If some alternate means of account registration is used, shouldn't this
be mentioned on the main page?

RE: MediaWiki missing "new account" icon/Link?

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
I think it happens by specifying login and there is an avenue to account creation then.

I however, don't want to logout and remove my account to see if that is it [;<).

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

On 04/12/2015 10:57 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>>> Account creation by users on the m-wiki was disabled ...
>> Thanks Keith. Obviously I have not been too observant. I tried some
>> tricks like putting a fake login to see if anything interesting might
>> happen and nothing.  Is there something that can actually be put ON
>> Mwiki to assist potential users? A link to an information page in
>> basically the same area of the Login would be great
>
> Well, we do have it but the link is unclear; this is due to a bug with
> that specific MediaWiki version and some adaptations needed which I
> couldn't investigate. If you open
> https://wiki.openoffice.org/w/index.php?title=Special:UserLogin you will
> see a big Login button and a link after it, with a wring text like
> "userlogin-helplink" wrapped in HTML entities.
>
> The link leads to
> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Help:Logging_in
> that explains the account creation process.
>
> So the only issue I see is that the link is not properly displayed n the
> login page due to the known bug we have. Fixing it should not be
> complex, but I didn't have time to investigate it back at the time.
>
> Regards,
>   Andrea.

OK. I do not have "karma" to edit any of the "Special Pages". So, we
wait until someone who does can fix this I guess. :(

Re: MediaWiki missing "new account" icon/Link?

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

On 04/12/2015 11:09 AM, Keith N. McKenna wrote:
> Kay Schenk wrote:
>> Hello all --
>>
>> I know we're basically "whitelisting" both CWiki and MWiki accounts, but
>> currently I do not find a "Register" link on any OpenOffice Wiki
>> (https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Main_Page)
>> pages. Was this removed and I didn't notice?
>>
>> If some alternate means of account registration is used, shouldn't this
>> be mentioned on the main page?
>>
> Kay;
>
> Account creation by users on the m-wiki was disabled quite some time ago
> as an anti-spam measure. The procedure to get an m-wki account is to
> send a request for an m-wiki account containing your preferred user name
> and your e-mail address  either here or to the documentation mailing
> list and one of the admins, usually myself or Andrea will create the
> account. A notice with a temporary password will be sent to the user at
> the e-mail address provided. The temporary password will be required to
> be changed at the first log-in.
>
> Regards
> Keith

Thanks Keith. Obviously I have not been too observant. I tried some
tricks like putting a fake login to see if anything interesting might
happen and nothing.  Is there something that can actually be put ON
Mwiki to assist potential users? A link to an information page in
basically the same area of the Login would be great but I don't know who
would be able to edit main templates like that since I'm sure this is
some standard MW widget or something.

Re: MediaWiki missing "new account" icon/Link?

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
On Sunday, April 12, 2015, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all --
>
> I know we're basically "whitelisting" both CWiki and MWiki accounts, but
> currently I do not find a "Register" link on any OpenOffice Wiki
> (https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Main_Page)
> pages. Was this removed and I didn't notice?
>
> If some alternate means of account registration is used, shouldn't this
> be mentioned on the main page?

+1 The cwiki is a 2 step, The user creates an account, then the admin
whitelist it.

we used to have a page in wiki.o.a.o (register) that asked you to send an
email to dev@

rgds
jan i