Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Varley, Roger" <Ro...@atosorigin.com> on 2004/09/29 11:27:09 UTC

Implementing Field Level Search Facilities

Hi

Can anyone point me to documentation/patterns that are being used to implement field level search facilities. I have a web application that requires the user to enter an account number in multiple places. I want to implement a search facility for finding account numbers. When the user selects the search facility an action prompts for the search criteria and a second action displays the results. When the user exits the second action, I need to return to the point from which the search was called. This means that the action.Forward ideally needs to be dynamic so I can return from whence I came. I know I can emulate this by making each call to the search facility a separate action mapped to my search class for each place it's being called from but account search would be called from many places and I have other fields I want to implement this facility on which means that my struts-config file rapidly becomes unwieldy.

Secondly, if the user selects an account from the search results then when I return to the point of origin, ideally I would like the form to display the result of the selection - so I either need a method of populating the original form bean or I need to place the result in the session and implement some sort of logic in the jsp on the lines of "if FormBean.account is blank then display session.accountSearchResult if present".

As a relative newcomer to struts this kind of processing is beyond me at the moment and I would appreciate some pointers.

Regards
Roger

liable for any damages resulting from any virus transmitted.