Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Jason Rothstein <jr...@1stbuy.com> on 1999/09/20 20:19:11 UTC

general/5047: Apache sends requests to MSIE 5.0 client to resend packet 1

>Number:         5047
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       Apache sends requests to MSIE 5.0 client to resend packet 1
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
MSIE 5.0 Client connected to webserver, and browsed around. A short while
later I noticed the webserver flooded the network with packets to the MSIE 5.0
client machine. Client is Windows 98, MSIE 5.0 with all current items from
MS Windows Update.

tcpdump reports packets of the following (info in right half columns)
". ack 1 window 32777" comming from the http port on webserver to port 1974
on client machine.

My guess is that it is requesting the client to resend a packet in the
connection that the client thinks is closed already.
>How-To-Repeat:
User Windows 98 with IE5.0 (client identifer includes DigExt for this particular
user so I don't know where/how user got this copy of IE5.0) and connect to any
RedHat Linux 6.0 Secure E-Commerce Edition machine.

I don't know if this will happen out of the box in either case, and I cannot
duplicate this problem as it has just disappeared.
>Fix:
I have no idea. block MSIE from the server? :P
[to include <ap...@Apache.Org> in the Cc line and make sure the]