Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Max Kovgan <ma...@fortscale.com> on 2014/06/15 11:04:56 UTC

username related weirdness with kafka 0.8.1.1 (scala 2.10.1)

hi.
as subj. states, I'm trying to use kafka-0.8.1.1 with samza (0.7).
Initially the work started as a dev. user, e.g. "devuser", and kafka
would run as that user, "and it's been good".

Then, during the deployment attempt, we're trying to run kafka under a
different user,  "kafka".
After having that set up, for some reason we get "no leader" problem.
That is the topics are "leaderless".

This is consistent either using the lib from java OR the command line tools.
Our zookeeper comes from cloudera's hadoop (CDH4 and 5 behave the same way).

But alas, when run as devuser the problem does not happen, so I don't
think the problem is zookeeper's version and we did not enable any
zookeeper authentication mechanisms.

I thought the communication with both kafka and zookeeper is done via
a tcp socket, so as long as the connections occur, and corresponding
services can work, there should not be any relation between the
username of either consumer, producer or the service.

Maybe I'm missing something fundamental, but: Is it supposed to behave
like that?

I can provide more "solid" info (like command excerpts, logs, etc. upon request)

Thanks in advance,
Max.

Re: username related weirdness with kafka 0.8.1.1 (scala 2.10.1)

Posted by Joe Stein <jo...@stealth.ly>.
None. What client(s) are you using? Maybe send more logs along for the
error and other info about the setup.  If you revert back does everything
work?

Posted by Max Kovgan <ma...@fortscale.com>.
Thanks for the response, Joe.

Posted by Joe Stein <jo...@stealth.ly>.