Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Pablo Lopez <pa...@gmail.com> on 2008/04/04 05:30:53 UTC

How can applications be isolated in Tomcat?

Hi,

I'm currently putting together a solution for an off-the-shelf document
management application that requires Tomcat to run a form design component.

I'd like to have a single Tomcat server supporting the production and five
non-production environments but isolate these instances. I’m hoping this
will give some isolation so non-prod doesn’t take prod off-line but that I
can also test new versions of the form design component in non-prod before
rolling it into prod.

It appears this could be done through virtual hosting and appbase settings
but this is way beyond my knowledge and I’m just architecting the solution.
I know we'll have to get a Tomcat expert in at some point in the future but
just wondered if I'm going down the right or wrong road here.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated and apologies if I got all
of the terminology wrong.

Regards,

Pablo

Checked by AVG.
6:36 PM

Re: How can applications be isolated in Tomcat?

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Pablo Lopez wrote:
> It appears this could be done through virtual hosting and appbase settings
> but this is way beyond my knowledge and I’m just architecting the solution.
> I know we'll have to get a Tomcat expert in at some point in the future but
> just wondered if I'm going down the right or wrong road here.

The danger with this approach is that all instances share a JVM so there is
scope for interference.

> Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated and apologies if I got all
> of the terminology wrong.
I'd use multiple Tomcat instances. There is still scope for resource
conflicts at the machine level but there is far less chance of conflict.

Mark

Re: How can applications be isolated in Tomcat?

Posted by Peter Sparkes <pe...@didm.co.uk>.
If you have control over the machine you could effectively do this using
XEN (xen.org) which gives you virtual machines.

Peter

Posted by Sameer Acharya <ac...@yahoo.com>.