Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by juanita <io...@trasys.gr> on 2007/11/07 15:50:22 UTC

Default font FOP and Adobe

I have an .xsl file that creates a *.fo file and then there is the generation
of pdf.
When I use a name for the font that does not exist in the configuration
file, the pdf is created with default font Times New Roman. Isn't Helvetica
the default font for FOP?
I am using fop 0.94.

Thank you...

Re: Default font FOP and Adobe

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
On 08.11.2007 09:10:52 juanita wrote:

> Yes I've seen the document properties font list I just could not be sure if
> these
> fonts are set because of FOP or because of Adobe.Can I also ask something
> else?
> (promise it will be the last:) )

:-) It's really no problem.

> I've seen in the document properties font list that when the fonts are not
> embedded
> but are referenced the encoding is ANSI. while when there are embedded the
> encoding is Identity-H (and the true type is CID).
> The thing is that with ANSI some characters (e.g. greek) are substitued
> wrongly.
> Is there any way to control this by Fop.?It is important for me to use fonts
> by reference.

I'm afraid, FOP can't handle CID fonts without embedding them in PDF at
the moment. That would take some work to make possible.

> Thanks again..
<snip/>

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Default font FOP and Adobe

Posted by Vincent Hennebert <vi...@anyware-tech.com>.
Hi,

Some nitpick from a typography amateur :-)

Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> I'm going to add this missing piece to our documentation right now.
> BTW,
> "any" is not mapped to "Times New Roman", but to "Times Roman". I don't
> know if there's a difference between the two. Probably not, nowadays,

There is. Times Roman is the original typeface created in 1931 for the
newspaper The Times [1]. It forms the base of the Postscript font
developed by Linotype and originally used as one of the Base 14 fonts of
PDF.

The URW Nimbus Roman No9 L font that can be found on Linux systems is
a clone of this font. The Times New Roman font is a TrueType font
developed by Monotype for Microsoft and whose metrics match the metrics
of the original Times font, so that it can be used as a replacement.

The case of Helvetica is very similar. Arial was also developed by
Monotype for Microsoft to match Helvetica’s metrics (see [2]).

I won’t enter the details, but this is all a problem of competition, at
the time, between Adobe and Microsoft, Postscript and TrueType fonts,
and license fees. I will also not launch the usual purist debate on this
topic ;-) The fact is that nowadays on Windows boxes Times New Roman and
Arial are always used as a replacement for Times and Helvetica, and
among others as Base 14 fonts for the Adobe Reader.

<snip/>

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Times_Roman
[2] http://www.ms-studio.com/articles.html

(Oops, my geek score has suddenly increased...)
Cheers,
Vincent

Re: Default font FOP and Adobe

Posted by juanita <io...@trasys.gr>.