Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2003/01/11 00:51:20 UTC

Lenient or strict pipelining?

> I applied the SMTP buffer issue patch to both branches.

Just to clarify for posterity, the problem was that pipelined data could be
consumed by an intermediate wrapper object, and missed by part of the code
that bypassed the intermediate wrapper.  The fix eliminates the intermediate
I/O objects, and implements its own readline functionality.

[Correct me if I'm wrong.  :-)]

> What are current thoughts on whether to enforce client protocol
> compliance?

I know that Peter and Danny seem inclined to enforce the RFC, but I'm
falling on the side of the "be [flexible | lenient] in what you accept,
strict in what you send" philosophy.  A good comment on that with respect to
mail servers:

Other thoughts?

	--- Noel