Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Donckels, Frederic" <f....@viveo-cognitive-systems.com> on 2006/05/31 09:24:00 UTC

Daily digest commit hook

Hello,

I googled some time, but couldn't find anything. My users would like to
avoid to be drowned in commit messages. Is there an easy way to have
daily digests of the svn commit messages on our repository (one way
would be to have those messages sent to a mailing-list and the users
subscribed to that list with a daily digest option, but I'd like an
easier setup).

Thanks for any advice

regards,

FD

Re: Daily digest commit hook

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On May 31, 2006, at 11:24, Donckels, Frederic wrote:

> I googled some time, but couldn't find anything. My users would
> like to
> avoid to be drowned in commit messages. Is there an easy way to have
> daily digests of the svn commit messages on our repository (one way
> would be to have those messages sent to a mailing-list and the users
> subscribed to that list with a daily digest option, but I'd like an
> easier setup).

Nothing built-in that I'm aware of. Shouldn't be difficult to build.
In the post-commit hook, write the diff of the revision to a new
file, named for the revision number (e.g. r123.diff). In a cron job
at midnight or whenever, get the list of files, sort them using a
natural sort algorithm, and for each file, append its contents to the
email being built, and then delete the diff file. Then send the mail.

If different people are subscribed to different paths in the
repository, I suppose this strategy would need to be modified somewhat.

Re: Daily digest commit hook

Posted by Alexey Neyman <al...@auriga.ru>.
On Wednesday 31 May 2006 13:24, Donckels, Frederic wrote:
> I googled some time, but couldn't find anything. My users would like
> to avoid to be drowned in commit messages. Is there an easy way to
> have daily digests of the svn commit messages on our repository (one
> way would be to have those messages sent to a mailing-list and the
> users subscribed to that list with a daily digest option, but I'd
> like an easier setup).

Append the commit messages to a log file by the commit hook. Send it
out and delete the log file by a daily cronjob.

Regards,
Alexey.

--
But wait!
This doesn't have to be the end!

Re: Daily digest commit hook

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@comcast.net>.
Karsten Hoffrath wrote:
> Hello,
>
> can you please point me to a description how to setup such a system?
> At the moment we are using the mailer.py script which works fine but
> if it is possible to switch to nntp we would be glad make this move.
>
> Thanks,
> Karsten

The post-commit and existing email submission scripts are pretty
straightforward: all that's missing is the NNTP server to send the messages
to. Any experienced network administrator should be able to set up a modest
NNTP server without much difficulty, with news->mail digest or gateways or
web access as needed, and there are lots of guides on how to do this
available for lots of distributions.

Re: Daily digest commit hook

Posted by Karsten Hoffrath <ma...@khoffrath.de>.
Hello,

Re: Daily digest commit hook

Posted by Brad Bruce <NJ...@Verizon.net>.
Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

> Donckels, Frederic wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I googled some time, but couldn't find anything. My users would like
>> to avoid to be drowned in commit messages. Is there an easy way to
>> have daily digests of the svn commit messages on our repository (one
>> way would be to have those messages sent to a mailing-list and the
>> users subscribed to that list with a daily digest option, but I'd
>> like an easier setup).
>>
>> Thanks for any advice
>>
>> regards,
>>
>> FD
>

> Create a news server and allow people to subscribe to that as they
> wish. Both keep the old messages around in usable form: the news
> server has better expiration and cancellation mangement.

I use an RSS feed to do this.  This leaves it up to the recipient to
determine how often they want updates.

My post-commit hook puts the relevent information into a small database
(SQLite).  Then a small CGI program (written in MFC) gets called by the
RSS client to return the desired commit entries.

It's still rough around the edges, but it is easy to implement.

BTW all of this is running on Windows, but should be easy enough for
someone to do on Xnix.

Brad

Re: Daily digest commit hook

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@comcast.net>.

Re: Daily digest commit hook

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@comcast.net>.
Garrett Rooney wrote:
> On 5/31/06, Donckels, Frederic
> <f....@viveo-cognitive-systems.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I googled some time, but couldn't find anything. My users would like
>> to avoid to be drowned in commit messages. Is there an easy way to
>> have daily digests of the svn commit messages on our repository (one
>> way would be to have those messages sent to a mailing-list and the
>> users subscribed to that list with a daily digest option, but I'd
>> like an easier setup).
>
> Almost any mailing list software worth using will already have the
> ability to subscribe to digest versions of a given list.  Just use
> that functionality instead of trying to reinvent it.
>
> -garrett

I've done this with mailman, which works. But since I've been thinking about
it more, I'm finding that NNTP just makes more sense. This is partly so that
people can go to the server and check the old logs, without having to keep
and organize copies in their own mail spools, partly because the messages
can be expired on a sane basis, partly because NNTP has turned out to be an
extremely robust and easily securiable service for external access, and
partly because it supports extremely large commit messages very well without
hammering a mail feed with dozens or hundreds of copies all sent out
simultaneously.

Re: Daily digest commit hook

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.