Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Jar Lyons <jl...@mobliss.com> on 2005/07/06 20:16:02 UTC

Announcement: NagiosAppender released on SourceForge

Below is a link that developers and administrators might find useful for
sending alerts from Java applications directly to Nagios.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/nagiosappender/

--
Jar Lyons
Software Engineer

Re: Announcement: NagiosAppender released on SourceForge

Posted by Paul Smith <ps...@aconex.com>.
Hi Jar,

Probably the first piece of feedback I can give is exposing the
ConnectionException in the send_nsca(LoggingEvent) method:

        Socket s = null;
        try
        {
                while( true )
                {   try
                    {
                        s = new Socket( getHost(), (new Integer
(getPort())).intValue() );
                        break;
                    }
                    catch( java.net.ConnectException e )
                    {
                        return;
                    }
                }

This is a classic error handler situation? Or worst case a LogLog-
like message. (great for new people using the appender when they dumb
like me and have something local preventing the connection).

I'll have more feedback once we've configured Nagios locally and can
feed events to it.

cheers,

Paul Smith