Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Nathaniel Reed <na...@seastore.jpl.nasa.gov> on 2001/11/20 19:01:58 UTC

running Turbine code as a standalone app

Hi,

I need to use my Torque-generated code (OM, Peer) to populate the
database.

Can someone advise me on how to do this?

I tried instantiating TurbineConfig as suggested in the documentation
but get an error message.

Thanks

--
Nate Reed
Physical Oceanography Distributed Active Archive Center

Re: running Turbine code as a standalone app

Posted by Nathaniel Reed <na...@seastore.jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hi,

In my main() method, I instantiate TurbineConfig like this:

new TurbineConfig("WEB-INF/conf", "TurbineResources.properties")

while running the app from the top of my application root directory (ie. under
~/tdk/webapps/<myapp>).  This is the same properties file used to successfully run
the Turbine servlet.

(Also, I don't know if this is related to my problem but I found that it was
ackward to build the CLASSPATH in order to get Turbine to run from the command
line -- every single JAR that is used in 'lib' needs to be visible, so I unjarred
velocity.jar, turbine.jar, xmlrpc.jar, log4j.jar, etc, into my classes
subdirectory and used java -cp WEB-INF/classes <program-name>)

The properties file is successfully read but I get the following output.  Attached
is the TurbineResources.properties file.  Do I need to change the paths referenced
in the properties file?  Also, is there a way to "turn off" services I don't need
so that those services (Velocity, Template, etc.) are not initialized?

------

Entered main...
Turbine: init
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.Error: VelocityService runtime log
file is misconfigured: 'null' is not a valid log file: TurbineConfig
users must use a path relative to web application root
        at java.lang.Throwable.fillInStackTrace(Native Method)
        at java.lang.Throwable.fillInStackTrace(Compiled Code)
        at java.lang.Throwable.<init>(Compiled Code)
        at java.lang.Error.<init>(Compiled Code)
        at
org.apache.turbine.services.velocity.TurbineVelocityService.initVelocity(Compiled
Code)
        at
org.apache.turbine.services.velocity.TurbineVelocityService.init(TurbineVelocityService.java:138)

        at org.apache.turbine.services.TurbineBaseService.init(Compiled
Code)
        at
org.apache.turbine.services.BaseInitableBroker.initClass(Compiled Code)
        at
org.apache.turbine.services.BaseServiceBroker.doInitService(Compiled
Code)
        at
org.apache.turbine.services.BaseServiceBroker.initServices(Compiled
Code)
        at org.apache.turbine.Turbine.init(Turbine.java:185)
        at
org.apache.turbine.util.TurbineConfig.init(TurbineConfig.java:163)
        at jcahoots.tests.PopulateFolders.main(PopulateFolders.java:11)

Posted by Dave Hollar <da...@bizpiranha.com>.

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>