Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Foster, Nate" <na...@puresolar.us> on 2014/04/29 21:48:57 UTC

[users@httpd] Question: How to secure multiple URL's with SSL on a single host with a single domain?

Hi All,

I'm new to the list, so please excuse me if I'm in the wrong spot.

I host a groupware service on a Debian 7 host running Apache2.2.  The
service uses multiple URL's for it's interface.

xx.xx.xx.xx/webmail is the main interface
xx.xx.xx.xx/web-admin is the administrative interface
xx.xx.xx.xx/webdav is for access to the WebDAV component

Each URL is enabled and it's .conf file is living in sites-enabled/

To secure the first URL, I modified the webmail.conf to have the
following lines at the top of the file:

<VirtualHost *:443>
SSLEngine on
SSLCertificateFile /etc/ssl/apache.pem
SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/ssl/private/apache.key
ServerAdmin webmaster@puresolar.us

and </VirtualHost> at the bottom of the file.

This worked great until I repeated it for the remaining URL's which
results in an error:  [warn] _default_ VirtualHost overlap on port 443,
the first has precedence

When I search for tutorials and documentation on how to do this
properly, I keep getting information related to securing multiple
virtual hosts, which does not really work for my scenario.  I would be
grateful for any pointers on how I can secure my server properly!

Many Thanks!

-Nate

Re: [users@httpd] Question: How to secure multiple URL's with SSL on a single host with a single domain?

Posted by "Foster, Nate" <na...@puresolar.us>.
Hi Nick,

Thanks for the fast response.  These URL's are all hosted on the same
machine w/the same IP address.

I figured out what I was doing wrong thanks to Eggert.  I was not using
the <directory "/xxx/xxx"> properly.

I'm including my fixed .conf file below in case it might be useful to
others.

<VirtualHost *:443>

SSLEngine on
SSLCertificateFile /etc/ssl/apache.pem
SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/ssl/private/apache.key
ServerAdmin webmaster@puresolar.us

# Those aliases do not work properly with several hosts on your apache
server
# Uncomment them to use it or adapt them to your configuration
#    Alias /roundcube/program/js/tiny_mce/ /usr/share/tinymce/www/
#    Alias /roundcube /var/lib/roundcube
# by NF - Alias /roundcubemail /usr/share/roundcubemail/
Alias /webmail /usr/share/roundcubemail/

# by NF - Adding Alias for webadmin
Alias /kolab-webadmin /usr/share/kolab-webadmin/public_html/

# by NF - Alias for iRony
Alias /iRony   /usr/share/iRony/public_html

#####   This section for RoundCubeMail AKA Webmail #####
# Access to tinymce files
#<Directory "/usr/share/tinymce/www/">
#    Options Indexes MultiViews FollowSymLinks
#    AllowOverride None
#    Order allow,deny
#    Allow from all
#</Directory>

<Directory /usr/share/roundcubemail/>
     Options +FollowSymLinks
     AllowOverride All
     <ifModule mod_authz_core.c>
         Require all granted
     </ifModule>
     <ifModule !mod_authz_core.c>
         Order Allow,Deny
         Allow from All
     </ifModule>
</Directory>

# Protecting basic directories:
<Directory /usr/share/roundcubemail/config>
     Options -FollowSymLinks
     AllowOverride None
</Directory>

<Directory /usr/share/roundcubemail/logs>
     Options -FollowSymLinks
     AllowOverride None
     <ifModule mod_authz_core.c>
         Require all denied
     </ifModule>
     <ifModule !mod_authz_core.c>
         Order Deny,Allow
         Deny from All
     </ifModule>
</Directory>

#####   This section for Kolab-Webadmin            #####

<Directory "/usr/share/kolab-webadmin/public_html/">
     <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
         RewriteEngine on
         # NOTE: This needs to point to the base uri of your
installation.
         RewriteBase /kolab-webadmin/

         # Rewrite URLs of the form 'x' to the form 'index.php?q=x'.
         RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
         RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
         RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !=/favicon.ico
         RewriteRule ^api/(.*)\.(.*)$ api/index.php?service=$1&method=$2
[L,QSA]

     </IfModule>

     AddDefaultCharset   UTF-8
     php_value error_reporting      6135

     DirectoryIndex index.php
     AllowOverride All

     <ifModule mod_authz_core.c>
         Require all granted
     </ifModule>
     <ifModule !mod_authz_core.c>
         Order Allow,Deny
         Allow from All
     </ifModule>

</Directory>

#####   This section iRony                         #####
<Directory "/usr/share/iRony/public_html/">
     AllowOverride All

     <IfModule mod_authz_core.c>
         # Apache 2.4
         Require all granted
     </IfModule>
     <IfModule !mod_authz_core.c>
         # Apache 2.2
         Order Allow,Deny
         Allow from All
     </IfModule>

     RewriteEngine On
     RewriteBase /iRony/
     RewriteRule ^\.well-known/caldav   / [R,L]
     RewriteRule ^\.well-known/carddav  / [R,L]

     RewriteCond  %{REQUEST_FILENAME}  !-f
     RewriteCond  %{REQUEST_FILENAME}  !-d
     RewriteRule  (.*)                 index.php  [qsappend,last]

</Directory>

</VirtualHost>

Posted by Nick Tkach <nt...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Foster, Nate" <na...@puresolar.us>.
Hello Eggert,

Thanks for your suggestion!  I'm going to try it now.  :-)

Nate

Posted by Eggert Ehmke <eg...@berlin.de>.
Hello Nate,