Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Andy Clark <an...@apache.org> on 2003/11/14 19:37:00 UTC

Re: XPointer Issue?

Elena Litani wrote:
> I have not read the XPointer spec. and given the schedule I don't have time
> to read it before we release. Given that I can't review the patches.

Has the XPointer patent issue[0] been resolved? I know
that was one of the main reasons we stayed away from
implementing it for so long.

Sun holds a patent but, according to a W3C posting[1],
is making it available under "reasonable and non-
discriminatory" (RAND) licensing. Has Apache worked
out an agreement with Sun regarding this patent so
that we can implement XPointer?

I'm not a lawyer so the wording of the document makes
my head spin. Does it mean that we *can* go ahead and
implement it as long as we make the implementation
available royalty-free to others? OR... does it mean
that we have to have a written agreement with Sun
prior to implementation?

[0] http://www.w3.org/2002/06/xptr_IPR_summary.html
[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-xml-linking-ig/2001Apr/0056.html

--