Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Philip A. Prindeville" <ph...@enteka.com> on 1997/09/01 07:21:54 UTC

1.1 capable browsers

Anyone know which of the existing browsers reuse connections in
HTTP?  That is, transfer more than one object per connection?  Also,
I noticed that Netscape 4.0 doesn't have preferences for the number
of connections or the amount of buffer space for each...

-Philip

Re: 1.1 capable browsers

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.
On Sun, 31 Aug 1997, Philip A. Prindeville wrote:

> Anyone know which of the existing browsers reuse connections in
> HTTP?  That is, transfer more than one object per connection?  Also,

HTTP doesn't have objects.

Most of the popular clients do multiple requests per connection, aka
persistent connections aka keepalives.  Navigator 2.x and later (although
2.x is even more broken than most), MSIE 3.x (possibly earlier), and a
good scattering of less common clients. Most of them do it using
pre-HTTP/1.1 draft methods.