Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Konrath Thomas <th...@unycom.com> on 2005/11/25 13:46:48 UTC

ThreadPool logFull, Tomcat not responding anymore

Hi ..

We have a problem on our product server with our web application (which
is too complicated to go into the details of here).
Every day at least once our web application is mysteriously hanging. The
application don't seem to crash or emit error messages, it just stop
responding.

In the catalina.out file I found the following error message:
Nov 23, 2005 2:15:39 PM org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool
logFull
SEVERE: All threads (75) are currently busy, waiting. Increase
maxThreads (75) or check the servlet status
=> complete error message below

I have search in the internet for this problem. It seems that increasing
the number of max threads is not the solution. The problem will be still
there, just with the new max thread number. I have found several
postings, describes this problem on a Red Hat Server (like
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jakarta-tomcat-user/200408.mbox
/%3c2004Aug01.0922.scs.0012@eskimo.com%3e).

Our configuration is:

        Jakarta Tomcat 4.1.31
        j2sdk 1.4.2_06
        Suse Linux Enterprise Server 8

Please note that this server is not under our control. It is controlled
by the IT department of our customer. We have no root privileges on the
server!!! So we are not able to create a stack thumb of the threads up
to now. But we are working on it ...

Can anyone help me or give me a hint to solve this problem???

kind regards
Tom

Nov 23, 2005 2:15:39 PM org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool
logFull
SEVERE: All threads (75) are currently busy, waiting. Increase
maxThreads (75) or check the servlet status
Nov 23, 2005 4:05:27 PM org.apache.commons.modeler.Registry
registerComponent
SEVERE: Error registering
Catalina:type=RequestProcessor,worker=jk-8017,name=JkRequest10631
javax.management.InstanceAlreadyExistsException:
Catalina:type=RequestProcessor,worker=jk-8017,name=JkRequest10631
        at
mx4j.server.MBeanServerImpl.register(MBeanServerImpl.java:1123)
        at
mx4j.server.MBeanServerImpl.registerImpl(MBeanServerImpl.java:1054)
        at
mx4j.server.MBeanServerImpl.registerMBeanImpl(MBeanServerImpl.java:1002)

        at
mx4j.server.MBeanServerImpl.registerMBean(MBeanServerImpl.java:978)
        at
org.apache.commons.modeler.Registry.registerComponent(Registry.java:871)

        at
org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.registerRequest(ChannelSocket.java:43
6)
        at
org.apache.jk.common.HandlerRequest.decodeRequest(HandlerRequest.java:44
3)
        at
org.apache.jk.common.HandlerRequest.invoke(HandlerRequest.java:352)
        at
org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.invoke(ChannelSocket.java:743)
        at
org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.processConnection(ChannelSocket.java:
675)
        at
org.apache.jk.common.SocketConnection.runIt(ChannelSocket.java:866)
        at
.java:683)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)
Nov 23, 2005 4:05:27 PM org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket
registerRequest
WARNING: Error registering request

Re: ThreadPool logFull, Tomcat not responding anymore

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
"Konrath Thomas" <th...@unycom.com> wrote in message
> Hi ..
>

> We have a problem on our product server with our web application (which
> is too complicated to go into the details of here).
> Every day at least once our web application is mysteriously hanging. The
> application don't seem to crash or emit error messages, it just stop
> responding.
>

> In the catalina.out file I found the following error message:
> Nov 23, 2005 2:15:39 PM org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool
> logFull
> SEVERE: All threads (75) are currently busy, waiting. Increase
> maxThreads (75) or check the servlet status
> => complete error message below

The exception should be fixed in the latest SVN code.  I've no idea when
4.1.32 is going to be release however.

> I have search in the internet for this problem. It seems that increasing
> the number of max threads is not the solution. The problem will be still
> there, just with the new max thread number. I have found several
> postings, describes this problem on a Red Hat Server (like
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jakarta-tomcat-user/200408.mbox
> /%3c2004Aug01.0922.scs.0012@eskimo.com%3e).

On Linux machines, this is generally true.  The work-around is to set a
connectionTimeout="60000" (you'll probably have to tune the value for your
system) on the <Connector> element in server.xml.  This tells Tomcat to
release any thread that hasn't done anything in the last minute.

> Our configuration is:
>

>        Jakarta Tomcat 4.1.31
>        j2sdk 1.4.2_06
>        Suse Linux Enterprise Server 8
>

> Please note that this server is not under our control. It is controlled
> by the IT department of our customer. We have no root privileges on the
> server!!! So we are not able to create a stack thumb of the threads up
> to now. But we are working on it ...

The APR and (experimental) NIO AJP/1.3 Connectors are designed to deal with
this problem.  However, to get them, you either have to build TC 4.1 from
SVN or upgrade to TC 5.5.