Posted to users@zeppelin.apache.org by Austin Heyne <ah...@ccri.com> on 2018/01/12 18:35:10 UTC

Issue with multiple users running Spark

Hi everyone,

I'm currently running Zeppelin on a spark master node using the AWS
provided Zeppelin install. I'm trying to get the notebook setup so
multiple devs can use it (and the spark cluster) concurrently. I have
the spark interpreter set to instantiate 'Per Note' in 'isolated'
processes. I also have 'spark.dynamicAllocation.enabled' set to 'true'
so the multiple spark contexts can share the cluster.

The problem I'm seeing is when the second spark context tries to
instantiate hive starts throwing errors because the Derby database has
already been booted (by the other context). Full stack trace is
available here [1]. How do I go about working around this? Is there a
way to have it use another database or is this a limitation?

Thanks for any help!

[1] https://gist.github.com/aheyne/8d84eaedefb997f248b6e88c1b9e1e34

--
Austin L. Heyne

Re: Issue with multiple users running Spark

Posted by Michael Segel <ms...@hotmail.com>.
Do you even need a hive context if you’re never going to connect to Hive on Hadoop?

If you are running Hadoop..
If you’re not running Tez, you might as well as skip hive and just run SparkSQL
Of course if your users are hooked on Hue… you may have an issue.

Sorry, this may be slightly off topic…

-Mike

On Jan 17, 2018, at 11:38 AM, Felix Cheung <fe...@hotmail.com>> wrote:

Should we have some doc on this? I think this could be a common problem

Posted by Felix Cheung <fe...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Austin Heyne <ah...@ccri.com>.

Posted by Jeff Zhang <zj...@gmail.com>.
There're 2 options for you: