Posted to user@thrift.apache.org by Billy Charlton <sf...@gmail.com> on 2012/11/14 22:57:40 UTC

Trying to building Thrift 0.9.0 with MinGW64 on Windows

I've been struggling to build Thrift 0.9.0 on Windows 7 (64bit) using the
MinGW64 toolchain. I understand this is not a fully supported platform, but
since Windows is supported, 64bit is supported, and GNU compilers are
supported, I figured I would try to combine all three :-)

I have read every web page that Google reveals on building Thrift for
Windows, but this combination of platforms and compilers seems problematic.
So, here are a few questions, if anyone out there has some experience with
this:

1) Does it matter which version of GCC I use to build?  I've tried 4.7 but
it doesn't work well with older versions of Boost; I'm currently using 4.5.

2) Is there a preferred version of the Boost threading library that works
best with Thrift? I've tried Boost 1.51, 1.40, 1.43... but no matter which
version I use, even if I can compile Boost itself I then get many errors
building Thrift.

3) Specific error messages during build point to problems with type
"pthread_t" not being found.  If I configure Thrift with
"--enable-boostthreads" I thought it would not use that because of macros
which define USE_BOOST_THREAD.  But apparently that's not getting defined?
 I can provide more details on the error logs if someone wants to hear
about it.

If I can get this to compile successfully I will definitely document my
findings recipe-style so that others can benefit from this work.

Cheers,
Billy

Re: Trying to building Thrift 0.9.0 with MinGW64 on Windows (UNCLASSIFIED)

Posted by Billy Charlton <sf...@gmail.com>.
A-ha, I didn't realize the Windows 7.1 SDK had the 64-bit compilers in it.
 I will definitely try that.

I've made enormous progress slogging through the MinGW64 build; it's so
close.. but not quite.  There is some code in TSocketServer that calls
fcntl() and a couple other POSIX-only methods, which shouldn't be happening
on Windows.  If I could figure that out I think it would be golden, but
using VS Express would be an easier path.

Thanks for the tip.

Posted by Juan Moreno <jw...@gmail.com>.