Posted to dev@wicket.apache.org by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com> on 2018/04/03 14:36:35 UTC

[DISCUSSION] Wicket 8 Release

Hello All,

I believe it is time to release :)
Do we have any blockers?

Some non-technical blockers should be already resolved :)))

--
WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: [DISCUSSION] Wicket 8 Release

Posted by Emond Papegaaij <em...@topicus.nl>.
On dinsdag 10 april 2018 14:22:21 CEST Martijn Dashorst wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 2:09 PM, Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > Current version is Java 10 (non LTS)
> > Maybe we can release 8.0.0 and add this to Wicket 9 ?
>
> The issue is that you can't upgrade to Java 11 when you are running
> CGLIB due to its use of sun.misc.Unsafe.
>
> This will cause problems. I'd rather ensure we have a good path
> forward, and Java 11 is in september. We can't break API in 8.x so we
> are stuck with CGLIB apis we expose.

We can still keep the CGLIB API and add a Byte Buddy variant. This would not
break compatibility for everyone running on 8.x. For users running on 11.x it
would break at runtime, but that will happen anyway.

IMHO this is not a blocker for a 8.0.0 release, but it should be fixed soon.
Also note that this will also break 6.x and 7.x, so we will need the same fix
for those versions.

Best regards,
Emond

Re: [DISCUSSION] Wicket 8 Release

Posted by Andrea Del Bene <an...@gmail.com>.
I agree. Releasing Wicket 8 is mandatory in any case.

Posted by Andrea Del Bene <an...@gmail.com>.
So in the end, why NOT releasing Wicket 8 ?

Posted by Sven Meier <sv...@meiers.net>.
+1 fully agreed

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Emond Papegaaij <em...@topicus.nl>.

Posted by Andrea Del Bene <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrea Del Bene <an...@gmail.com>.
I've also tried to build master branch with Java 9 and I've found the
following issues:

wicket-util: it seems that java 9 has changed date formats to be closer
to the Unicode standard:

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Grigorov <ma...@gmail.com>.
Does any of you use Java 9/10 ?

Posted by Andrea Del Bene <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrea Del Bene <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
Current version is Java 10 (non LTS)
Maybe we can release 8.0.0 and add this to Wicket 9 ?

Posted by Tobias Soloschenko <to...@googlemail.com>.
+1 :-)

kind regards

Tobias