Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Martin Koerfer <ko...@mpch-mainz.mpg.de> on 2001/11/12 09:52:44 UTC

general/8741: Error-Log: "System: Too many open files (errorno: 24)" > No further server access possible

>Number:         8741
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       Error-Log: "System: Too many open files (errorno: 24)" > No further server access possible
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
After running our apache-server for several days (4 to 5)
(Apache/1.3.12 (Unix) ApacheJServ/1.1 mod_fastcgi/2.2.6 PHP/3.0.11 mof_ssl/2.6.2 OpenSSL/0.9.5)
the server is no longer accessable sending the error-message (error_log):

System:Too many open files (errorno: 24)
[client "xxx"] (24)Too many open files: file permissions deny server access: "yyy"

where "xxx" is the client trying to access the server (any who wants to get access at this time)
and "yyy" is the file on the server he wants to access (for any file on the server)

After restarting the public web-server the error disappears and is repeated running 4 to 5 days without problems.

>How-To-Repeat:
no systematics detected
>Fix:
no