Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Piergiorgio Lucidi <pi...@apache.org> on 2017/01/07 10:42:52 UTC

Re: Xenophobia in the light of President-Elect Trump

Hi,

I completely agree with Rich, I think that we don't need to be involved
spreading out similar political messages.

The main purpose of the Community is clear to everyone.

Anyway we could improve the description of the organization in the website
underlining that there is no restriction for race, nation, creed, ideology,
gender as mentioned by Shawn.

This could be an improvement for the clearness of the ASF message and
status without entering in the political topic.

Cheers,
Piergiorgio

> Gavin, All,
>
> Conducting politics is done already enough everywhere with the ASF and its
> organisational units. Let's leave at that.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Pierre Smits
>
> ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>
> OFBiz based solutions & services
>
> OFBiz Extensions Marketplace
> http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/
>
> On Fri, Dec 30, 2016 at 7:32 PM, Chris Mattmann <ma...@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
> > Rich is correct.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Chris
> >
> > On 12/30/16, 10:29 AM, "Rich Bowen" <rb...@rcbowen.com> wrote:
> >

> >     On 12/29/2016 08:20 AM, Gavin Mabie wrote:
> >     > Hi Community
> >     >
> >     > Should the community come out clearly rejecting the Trump
> xenophobic
> >     > policies? Given the fact that community members comprise all
> > cultures,
> >     > religions and geographies?
> >     >

> >     No. We should not make any political statements of this kind.
> >
> >     It's cool for us to make statements about what we believe, but
> >     endorsing, or attacking, particular politicians is not only contrary
> >     our non-profit standing, but there are individuals within our
> community
> >     who are supporters of the president-elect, and who voted for him. Do
> we
> >     reject those people from our community because we disagree with their
> >     political leanings?
> >
> >     We are not a political organization, and we must not become one.
> >
> >     --Rich
> >
> >     --
> >     Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com - @rbowen
> >     http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon

Piergiorgio Lucidi
Technology Evangelist @ Sourcesense
Author and Technical Reviewer @ Packt Publishing
Mentor / PMC Member / Committer @ Apache Software Foundation
Community Star / Wiki Gardener / Forum Moderator / Certified Instructor,
Engineer and Administrator @ Alfresco
Top Community Contributor @ Crafter
Project Leader / Committer @ JBoss
http://www.open4dev.com