Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "Mattmann, Chris A (3980)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov> on 2014/11/14 01:07:06 UTC

Re: [VOTE] Retire HDT

CC¹ing folks from general@incubator.a.o as they can likely explain
(am currently getting ready for a flight back from Italy to Los Angeles
and won¹t have time for a bit, Bob).

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Chief Architect
Office: 168-519, Mailstop: 168-527
Email: chris.a.mattmann@nasa.gov
WWW:  http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/

Posted by Evert Lammerts <ev...@apache.org>.
Like Bob I would have liked to do more than just monitoring the list, but
clearly I haven't and that doesn't give me much legitimacy I'm afraid. +0
from me as well.

I've just come back to Hadoop after an absence of 18 months, and I see that
a development environment for Hadoop-related computing and data warehousing
tools (MapReduce, Spark [SQL|Streaming], Pig, HBase, Hive, etc) and their
libraries (Mahout, Giraph, MLlib and GraphX) is still missing, and that
there *is* a real need for it. Any cloud provider worth their salt offers a
Hadoop as a platform service where you can deploy a cluster within minutes,
but there's no way to get started developing jobs right away. And I see
organisations struggle with this on private deployments as well. Stacks
like Hue and IPython Notebook and simple stepping stone nodes fill part of
the gap, but I think we can do way better.

I've just come back to this space, and this is a problem I'm addressing for
my current client (a bank) as well. If somebody would like to discuss
tackling this together then lets set up a short call. I do have to say that
looking at the current Hadoop toolset, I'm no longer convinced that Eclipse
is the way to go here.

Best,
Evert

Re: [VOTE] Retire HDT

Posted by Rahul Sharma <ra...@gmail.com>.
I will keep the vote open till then. Maybe some consensuses can be found
for next development.

Re: [VOTE] Retire HDT

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Sun, Nov 30, 2014 at 5:03 AM, Evert Lammerts
<ev...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Roman! Quick question: do you know whether there's a procedure to revive
> retired podlings in the future? Or would one just restart the establishment
> process?

Basically all it takes is a VOTE on general@incubator and at least 3 +1 IPMC
votes. The source code and the rest of the infrastructure (such as JIRA, etc)
stays frozen and takes no time at all to revive.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: [VOTE] Retire HDT

Posted by Evert Lammerts <ev...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Retire HDT

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
Hi!

Re: [VOTE] Retire HDT

Posted by Evert Lammerts <ev...@apache.org>.
Hi Rahul, others,

Fwd: [VOTE] Retire HDT

Re: [VOTE] Retire HDT

Posted by Mirko Kämpf <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Roman,

Sorry for the delay! Here I confirm my vote, changed to

+1 for retirement of the HDT project.

Cheers,
Mirko

Re: [VOTE] Retire HDT