Posted to dev@ambari.apache.org by Greg Hill <gr...@RACKSPACE.COM> on 2014/08/20 21:32:32 UTC

getting a NullPointerException on cluster create in trunk

I started working on the ambari client again, so I wanted to make sure what I had written before still worked on trunk.  Sadly, creating a server is giving me a 500 error with no details.  I had to dig into the server logs to see what went wrong.  Looks like a NullPointerException.  I've included the script I'm using and the stack trace from the server log.

https://gist.github.com/jimbobhickville/9b95bbedc4f3380ffa11

Based on the stack trace, it looks like I'm missing some required configuration, but I don't know what.  Was some additional configuration required recently?  I'm only passing in:

{
            "nagios-env" : {
                "nagios_contact" : "greg.hill@rackspace.com"
            }
        }

As that was all that was required previously.

Greg

Re: getting a NullPointerException on cluster create in trunk

Posted by Robert Nettleton <rn...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Greg, Sid,

I think this problem may be related to the recent changes in the Cluster resource provider.

In the latest Blueprint code, if one of a certain set of services is not enabled (examples: Falcon, Oozie, Hive), then a NullPointerException will occur that is similar to the stack trace listed in the bug that Sid just filed.

I’m currently working on a fix for this, but in the meantime you can probably work around this by adding one of the missing services, even if these services are not required by your cluster.  In particular, you might want to try adding the “FALCON_SERVER” to one of your host groups, which will force the Falcon config to be pulled in, and thus avoid the NullPointer until I have the fix ready to submit as a patch.

I’m going to reassign this bug to myself, and will post more details when they are available.

Hope this helps,
Bob

On Aug 20, 2014, at 4:13 PM, Greg Hill <gr...@RACKSPACE.COM> wrote:

> It was changed from global to nagios-env in 1.6.1, but the documentation
> wasn't updated.  Was it then changed back again in 1.7.0?
>
> Greg
>
> On 8/20/14 3:10 PM, "Siddharth Wagle" <sw...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Greg,
>>
>> You config type looks wrong.
>>
>> "nagios-env" should actually be "global".
>>
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AMBARI/Blueprints
>>
>> Created a Jira to prevent NPE,
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMBARI-6957
>>
>> -Sid
>>

>> On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 12:32 PM, Greg Hill <gr...@rackspace.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I started working on the ambari client again, so I wanted to make sure
>>> what I had written before still worked on trunk.  Sadly, creating a
>>> server
>>> is giving me a 500 error with no details.  I had to dig into the server
>>> logs to see what went wrong.  Looks like a NullPointerException.  I've
>>> included the script I'm using and the stack trace from the server log.
>>>
>>> https://gist.github.com/jimbobhickville/9b95bbedc4f3380ffa11
>>>
>>> Based on the stack trace, it looks like I'm missing some required
>>> configuration, but I don't know what.  Was some additional configuration
>>> required recently?  I'm only passing in:
>>>
>>> {
>>>            "nagios-env" : {
>>>                "nagios_contact" : "greg.hill@rackspace.com"
>>>            }
>>>        }
>>>
>>> As that was all that was required previously.
>>>
>>> Greg
>>>

>> --
>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
>> of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
>> that
>> received this communication in error, please contact the sender
>> immediately

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: getting a NullPointerException on cluster create in trunk

Posted by Greg Hill <gr...@RACKSPACE.COM>.

Posted by Siddharth Wagle <sw...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Greg,

--