Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by "Ford, Jennifer M." <JE...@SOUTHERNCO.COM> on 2008/05/16 23:10:19 UTC

Jetspeed Preferences with Flex

Hi there,

We've been experimenting with the use of Adobe Flex inside of our
Jetspeed-2.1.2 portal in order to get some rich internet functionality
that we've wrestled with implementing in Ajax.

Everything is working like a charm except for preferences.  We can get
preferences out of the portal and pass them into Flex using flash vars,
but we can't figure out how to get the preferences back in to the Portal
without doing a form submit via JavaScript, which will cause the page to
reload, which is exactly what we're trying to avoid.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jennifer

Re: Jetspeed Preferences with Flex

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
On May 16, 2008, at 2:42 PM, Ford, Jennifer M. wrote:

> We need to abstract it out a little bit in order to submit it, but
> we'd
> be happy to once we get the kinks worked out.
>
> The URL that you provided would certainly work for what we're trying
> do (any idea when that might be available?).  We were also wondering
> if
> it's possible to update the preferences database directly and take out
> the middleman, but I'm not sure if Jetspeed is caching the preferences
> and would thus not pick up the updates.

When you say "take out the middleman", do you mean write directly to
the preferences database without Jetspeed's help?
I don't think thats smart, especially since we are changing the table
structure for the tables in the next release
What do you gain by taking out the middleman besides not having to
wait on busy-me to implement it?
And yes, we are caching the prefs, with clustered caching support
built in

When will it be available? I don't know, when can you have your
contribution for Portals Bridges ready by ;-)

RE: Jetspeed Preferences with Flex

Posted by "Ford, Jennifer M." <JE...@SOUTHERNCO.COM>.
We need to abstract it out a little bit in order to submit it, but we'd
be happy to once we get the kinks worked out.

The URL that you provided would certainly work for what we're trying to

On May 16, 2008, at 2:10 PM, Ford, Jennifer M. wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> We've been experimenting with the use of Adobe Flex inside of our
> Jetspeed-2.1.2 portal in order to get some rich internet functionality

> that we've wrestled with implementing in Ajax.
>
> Everything is working like a charm except for preferences.  We can get

> preferences out of the portal and pass them into Flex using flash
> vars, but we can't figure out how to get the preferences back in to
> the Portal without doing a form submit via JavaScript, which will
> cause the page to reload, which is exactly what we're trying to avoid.
>
> Any ideas?

That seems interesting! Are you planning on contributing your solution
to Apache?
Getting some useful functionality between portlets and flex would be a
great addition to Portals Bridges

The Jetspeed Desktop does form updates without actually refreshing the
page You may want to look into the desktop, although it may be a little
complicated to figure out

There is also the Jetspeed XML API, but we do not have a XML API for
updating preferences, yet...
I'd like to propose something like

http://localhost:8080/jetspeed/ajaxapi?action=updateprefs&id=ps-1003&pre
fs=pref1,pref2,pref3&values=one,two,three

Although we may need to rethink the encoding of the parameters...

See more docs here:

http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/guides/guide-ajax-api.html

Re: Jetspeed Preferences with Flex

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.