Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Michael McCutcheon <mi...@att.net> on 2011/02/08 08:41:57 UTC

How to hookup Servlet 3.0 Authentication to realm? (request.login)?

Hello,

I'm attempting to setup my web app to authenticate via the new Servlet
3.0 HttpServletRequest.login method.

I have a JDBC realm set up in the context.xml in Netbeans 7.  Now I'd
like to use the request.login method to authenticate against that realm.

The problem I'm having is that I get the error message:

javax.servlet.ServletException: no authenticator

When I call the login method.

How do I get the login method to use my JDBC realm?

What am I missing?

Do I need something in web.xml?

Or do I need to declare something special on the servlet that calls the
login method?

Do I need a <login-config> section?  If so, What should it be populated
with?

thanks for any help,
Mike

Re: How to hookup Servlet 3.0 Authentication to realm? (request.login)?

Posted by Michael McCutcheon <mi...@att.net>.
On 2/8/2011 11:46 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 08/02/2011 07:41, Michael McCutcheon wrote:
>> Do I need something in web.xml?
> Yes.
>
>> Or do I need to declare something special on the servlet that calls the
>> login method?
> No.
>
>> Do I need a<login-config>  section?  If so, What should it be populated
>> with?
> Yes. I'd just configure it as BASIC.
>
> Mark

I was able to make it work.  I had to put a <security-constraint> in the
web.xml, and that seems to have triggered Tomcat to setup an authenticator.

thanks,

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 08/02/2011 07:41, Michael McCutcheon wrote:
> Do I need something in web.xml?

Yes.

> Or do I need to declare something special on the servlet that calls the
> login method?

No.