Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "André Warnier (tomcat)" <aw...@ice-sa.com> on 2018/03/29 22:07:34 UTC

[OT] Re: On Tomcat 8.5.16, RemoteHostFilter throwing ServletException the property [allow] is not defined

On 29.03.2018 23:36, charlie arehart wrote:
> (And as I said in another thread, I don't propose these changes as if to say to someone, "now go do it". I'm saying it as someone who would try to step in and help, if permitted.)

I think that you can do that.
Have a look here :
http://tomcat.apache.org/getinvolved.html
You have already done the first step.
You can do the second step, whenever you want : if you see a question to which you can
contribute a useful response, please do.
The next step would be the FAQ or Wiki. That's also fairly easy : go to
https://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FrontPage
and see the "If you do decide to contribute," paragraph.
(You could for example start by providing some additional examples, as a FAQ article. And
I am sure that with a simple request on this list, a link to that FAQ could then be easily
added to the main docs).
If you want to contribute directly by improving the docs, that gets a bit more involved,
because it requires downloading the code, submitting patches etc. But it can be done (I
did it once, at a time when I wasn't even sure what "diff" meant).
That will lead you here : http://www.apache.org/dev/contributors.html
(Note: the process for the documentation is exactly the same as for the code; and as a
contribution, it will be appreciated in the same way - or even more, considering the
inherent aversion of programmers toward documentation..)
And the ultimate reward (after a few years of hard and consciencious work) would be here :
http://tomcat.apache.org/whoweare.html