Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Bill Hilf <bh...@etoys.com> on 2000/06/16 03:06:37 UTC

[JOB] mod_perl and Apache developers wanted

The Gig:
--------
We at eToys Engineering are seeking mod_perl and Apache developers to help
us solve some of the most interesting puzzles facing high volume Internet
systems today.

What you're about:
------------------
You have a solid understanding of mod_perl, the Apache API, and Perl
5.  You have experience with database interaction via DBI (working
experience with Oracle is a big plus).  In addition to mod_perl and
Apache, you know/love/are-familiar with some of the following: clustered
architectures, Linux, object-oriented programming and methodologies,
ecommerce security, and capacity planning and tuning for high-volume
systems.

What we're about:
-----------------
We are a strictly *nix software development shop and encourage and promote
the use and publication of Open Source software.  Our Engineering staff
includes developers who contribute heavily to lists such as this, and have
numerous contributions throughout the Open Source and web development
communities.  Our work environment is casual and fun - our focus is on
building great software, not if you're in the office at 8am.  All the
other typical tech benefits apply: free sodas, concierge services, home
high-speed access, etc.  We're located in Santa Monica, Calif., about five
minutes from the beach.

eToys Engineering offers competitive compensation, relocation, and
*really* great deals on toys.

If interested, email me: bhilf@etoys.com

Thanks,

Bill Hilf

Re: [OT] [JOB] mod_perl and Apache developers wanted

Posted by "Jeffrey W. Baker" <jw...@acm.org>.
On Thu, 15 Jun 2000, Shane Nay wrote:

> Hehe, I was going to say I thought I saw some etoy.com action in Perrin's
> headers, but looks like he spoke up for himself.  The bottom line is that a lot
> of companies have law departments that Do Bad Things.  You just have to keep
> them in check.  (i.e. Get GPL clauses in your contracts!, it's _IMPORTANT_, I'm
> doing this right now, and will see if it's okay with my lawyer to post the
> wording for anyone to use.)

Besides of course abiding by all your software licenses, I believe
programmers working for Internet companies have another serious duty.
That is to squarely refuse to assist in the filing of insipid patents.
You can also have it written into your offer of employment that patent
applications are excluded from your work duties.  By doing so, the
technical people who are behind the inventions can keep the Internet
patent land grab from getting out of control.

IMHO, naturally.  Your philosophical mileage may vary.

Jeffrey Baker

Re: [OT] [JOB] mod_perl and Apache developers wanted

Posted by Shane Nay <sh...@isupportlive.com>.
Hehe, I was going to say I thought I saw some etoy.com action in Perrin's
headers, but looks like he spoke up for himself.  The bottom line is that a lot
of companies have law departments that Do Bad Things.  You just have to keep
them in check.  (i.e. Get GPL clauses in your contracts!, it's _IMPORTANT_, I'm
doing this right now, and will see if it's okay with my lawyer to post the
wording for anyone to use.)

 <rant>
1 _______________________________________________________________________
2
3 ************** DREAMWVR.COM - TOTAL INTERNET SERVICES ****************
4   TOTAL DESIGN - DEVELOPMENT - INTEGRATION - SECURITY - Click Here..
5            <http://www.dreamwvr.com/services/MAX_SEC.html>;
6    DREAMWVR.COM - The Console of Many... 90 Topics Covered
7 <http://www.dreamwvr.com/dynamicduo.html>;
8 <ma...@dreamwvr.com>;
9 ->> LINUX-MANDRAKE Solution Provider and North American Distributor<<-
10                         PRODUCT OF THE YEAR!
11 <http://www.dreamwvr.com/mandrake/mandrake-main.html>;
12  "===0 PGP Key Available
13*************** "As Unique as the Company You Keep."*****************
14    "If anyone speaks from DREAMWVR.COM its certainly not me:-)"
15________________________________________________________________________

15 lines.  Hmm.., what's the distribution of the mod_perl list?  Probably 1000
or so.  So, 15,000 lines of almost spam.  Please dreamwvr..., keep it down to
a dull roar.  People that include mini commercials like Matt tend to keep it
pretty small and professional, like 4 lines.  15 is too much..., no yelling
either.
</rant>
Shane.
(Totally offtopic, but I had to say something)

Re: [OT] [JOB] mod_perl and Apache developers wanted

Posted by David Emery <da...@skiddlydee.com>.
At 21:27 -0600 00.6.15, dreamwvr wrote:
>Hi Jeffery,
>What is this about?
>> You forgot the part about suing legitimate domain name holders, harrassing
>> artists with little or no income, and trying to extend USA jurisdiction to
>> the internet.
>>
>> While I'm sure the engineering department had no part in such things, I
>> believe the readers of this list acare deeply about corporate culture and
> > freedom on the Internet.

Here's a link to a one of of the Slashdot articles on the subject

http://slashdot.org/yro/99/12/30/1159249.shtml

The article includes links to related articles from Wired, C-Net, etc. Only
the Wired links seem to remain live.

More at http://www.toywar.com including a graphical rundown of the whole
episode.

Dave

Re: [OT] [JOB] mod_perl and Apache developers wanted

Posted by dreamwvr <dr...@dreamwvr.com>.
Hi Jeffery,

--
Reuters, London, February 29, 1998:
Scientists have announced discovering a meteorite which will strike the

************** DREAMWVR.COM - TOTAL INTERNET SERVICES ****************
  TOTAL DESIGN - DEVELOPMENT - INTEGRATION - SECURITY - Click Here..
           <http://www.dreamwvr.com/services/MAX_SEC.html>;
   DREAMWVR.COM - The Console of Many... 90 Topics Covered
<http://www.dreamwvr.com/dynamicduo.html>;
<ma...@dreamwvr.com>;
->> LINUX-MANDRAKE Solution Provider and North American Distributor<<-
                        PRODUCT OF THE YEAR!
<http://www.dreamwvr.com/mandrake/mandrake-main.html>;
 "===0 PGP Key Available

Re: Any reason not to SSI include Registry scripts?

Posted by darren chamberlain <da...@boston.com>.
Michael Todd Glazier (michaeltodd@Galli-Glazier.com) said something to this effect:
> As a way to speed up the CGIs but allow my designers easy access to
> the html file, I'm executing an Apache::Registry CGI script from
> within an .shtml document using #exec cgi . The Apache manual says to
> prefer use of #include virtual, but that doesn't pass the query
> string from the request. In a way this is a hacked template system. :)
>
> Is there a reason, barring the known fact it would be faster as a
> full blown module :), not to use this set-up?
>
> Thanks!
>
> - mt

How about using Perl includes, like <!--#perl sub="My::Package" -->? Much
cleaner, and still consistant with other types of includes. And, since it
uses the standard Apache/mod_perl module format (sub handler and all that),
the modules you use in Perl subs can be easily moved over to full handlers
if necessary.

Perl subs requires that mod_perl be built staticalll with Apache, and that
mod_perl built with EVERYTHING=1 or PERL_SSI=1.

darren

--
If God had not given us sticky tape, it would have been necessary to invent it.

Re: Any reason not to SSI include Registry scripts?

Posted by Vivek Khera <kh...@kciLink.com>.

MTG> <!--#perl sub="Apache::Include" arg="/perl/ssi.pl" -->

MTG> The book Professional Apache says this is more efficient than include
MTG> virtual since it allows scripts to be persistent, but I don't see how
MTG> they would not be using include virtual.

I have mod_perl as dynamic since I run different configs on different
boxes and I hate to have multiple binaries...  The #perl doesn't work
with dynamic mod_perl.

The boot Professional Apache must assume that whatever you're #include
virtual-ing is non-mod_perl otherwise this statement wrong.

Re: Any reason not to SSI include Registry scripts?

Posted by Michael Todd Glazier <mi...@galli-glazier.com>.
At 9:39 AM -0400 6/22/00, Vivek Khera wrote:

>I use the include virtual in some situations.  If you want the query
>string, just append it:
>
>  <!--#include virtual="/path/to/program?$QUERY_STRING" -->

Do you happen to know if there's any performance difference between
using the include and virtual and using the following:

<!--#perl sub="Apache::Include" arg="/perl/ssi.pl" -->

The book Professional Apache says this is more efficient than include
virtual since it allows scripts to be persistent, but I don't see how
they would not be using include virtual.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the time.

- mt

Re: Any reason not to SSI include Registry scripts?

Posted by Vivek Khera <kh...@kciLink.com>.

Internet: khera@kciLink.com       Rockville, MD       +1-301-545-6996
GPG & MIME spoken here            http://www.khera.org/~vivek/

RE: Any reason not to SSI include Registry scripts?

Posted by Kenneth Lee <ke...@alfacomtech.com>.
Hey, I'm doing this too! I use #include virtual to invoke
my CGI scripts to embed some dynamic objects. But to do so
my scripts have to add a if-construct to get the query string
when running as a SSI script:

  if ($ENV{SERVER_PROTOCOL} eq 'INCLUDED') {
    ($qstr) =~ ($ENV{REQUEST_URI} =~ /\?(.*)/);
    $q = new CGI $qstr;
  } else {
    $q = new CGI;
  }

yeah, this is ugly, but i'm doing this anyway.
hope this helps.
kenneth

Re: [OT] Enough about etoys!

Posted by Gunther Birznieks <gu...@extropia.com>.
At 01:49 PM 6/21/00 -0500, Jeff Gleixner wrote:
>Ed Phillips wrote:
> >
> > It is interesting and and somewhat ironic that the Engineering
> > dep at eToys [...]
> >Paul Singh wrote:
>
>Enough already!  Please stop posting non-mod_perl related drivel to this
>list!  It is neither ironic nor interesting and it's not why people have
>signed-up for this list.
>
>Yes, this message isn't related.  Sorry all. I'm just fed up with this
>noise.

Yeah, but it should be [OT] Enough about etoys! :) Believe it or not , some
people do explicitly filter out OT's so it's considered etiquette to put that.

However, with that said, my impression is that OT topics were at least
moderately associated with mod_perl even if not directly. This is just
really really not associated with mod_perl directly or indirectly (from a
technical level) and so although I read OT posts, I really hate this thread.

Especially when it's clearly not a black and white issue and too emotional
for a mailing list. I also do not want to hear this talk anymore, stuff
like this is better for slashdot. (And it's one of the reasons I stopped
reading slashdot although I was an addict for a long while).

I am also a ashamed at the thought of people new to mod_perl joining this
list and seeing these occasional nasty messages back and forth(whether
warranted or not there are other forums for this type of thing).

I prefer if we keep this list professional and as ON TOPIC (OT ... :)) as
possible even for OT messages.

Newbies don't really always understand OT abbreviation and what it means
either.

Later,
    Gunther

Enough about etoys!

Posted by Jeff Gleixner <gl...@uswest.net>.
Ed Phillips wrote:

> It is interesting and and somewhat ironic that the Engineering
> dep at eToys [...]
>Paul Singh wrote:

Enough already!  Please stop posting non-mod_perl related drivel to this
list!  It is neither ironic nor interesting and it's not why people have
signed-up for this list.

Yes, this message isn't related.  Sorry all. I'm just fed up with this
noise.

Thank you
--
Groucho Marx Saying of the moment :
	Military justice is to justice what military music is to music.

Re: [OT] [JOB] mod_perl and Apache developers wanted

Posted by Ed Phillips <ed...@homewarehouse.com>.
It is interesting and and somewhat ironic that the Engineering
dep at eToys is part of the open source community and culture
while their management's behavior was so disastrously misguided
and so misunderstanding of net culture and precedent.
They shot themselves in the foot pretty badly.

Would eToys have paid for the legal expenses of the Etoy group
if they weren't clued in by their Engineering department? Have
they learned a hard lesson?

Perrin is an exemplary figure, and I commiserate with him, but
some basic precedents of net culture need to be respected for the
network to function and the culture to flourish. If we had not
protested the attempted eToys domain grab, and I was one
who protested, they may have never recanted and  Etoy might
still be fighting at absurd personal cost.

Cheers,

Ed

Posted by Paul Singh <ps...@dmnetworks.com>.

Posted by Perrin Harkins <pe...@primenet.com>.

Posted by Paul Singh <ps...@dmnetworks.com>.

> I like Slashdot too, but don't believe everything you read there.  They
> sometimes skew the facts a bit in their eagerness for good stories.

While that may be true (as with many publications), I hope you're not
denying the facts of this case... which basically boil down to a corporation
coming in and harassing a bunch of artists who had a more legitimate right
to their domain.  If anything, it seems to me that etoy.com would have a
better case against etoys.com, rather than the other way around.

None the less, this is extremely OT and I apologize...

- jps

Re: [OT] [JOB] mod_perl and Apache developers wanted

Posted by Billy Donahue <bi...@dadadada.net>.

Re: [OT] [JOB] mod_perl and Apache developers wanted

Posted by Perrin Harkins <pe...@primenet.com>.
"Jeffrey W. Baker" wrote:
> You forgot the part about suing legitimate domain name holders, harrassing
> artists with little or no income, and trying to extend USA jurisdiction to
> the internet.
>
> While I'm sure the engineering department had no part in such things, I
> believe the readers of this list acare deeply about corporate culture and
> freedom on the Internet.

Well, thank you for at least that last part.  You're right, the
engineering department here (yes, I work at eToys) had nothing to do
with it.  We are nice people doing fun work with mod_perl and other open
source software.

That whole thing was resolved quite a while ago, and ended with etoy.com
getting their domain back and eToys paying their legal fees.  This
company has nothing against artists and is not an evil faceless
corporation; just a bunch of people running a big toy store.

Posted by "Jeffrey W. Baker" <jw...@acm.org>.