Posted to dev@storm.apache.org by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com> on 2018/01/25 17:19:36 UTC

[CANCELED] [VOTE] Release Apache Storm 1.0.6 (rc1)

Canceling in order to include a fix for https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STORM-2912 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STORM-2912>.

-Taylor

Re: [CANCELED] [VOTE] Release Apache Storm 1.0.6 (rc1)

Posted by Hugo Da Cruz Louro <hl...@hortonworks.com>.
Agree that release should include Netty upgrade (STORM-2918)

Posted by Satish Duggana <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Artem Ervits <ar...@gmail.com>.
-1 (non-binding)

Posted by Jungtaek Lim <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stig Rohde Døssing <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jungtaek Lim <ka...@gmail.com>.
Hugo,

Posted by Hugo Da Cruz Louro <hl...@hortonworks.com>.
I am in favor of not incubating storm-kafka-client but rather keep it as part of the storm project. We can consider supporting a separate branch, but before we agree to go that route I would like to hear lessons learned from community members that have been part of similar transitions in other projects.

As for not back-porting all the storm-kafka-client changes onto 1.0.x and 1.1.x branches, I expressed my opinion in the JIRA when the this discussion first came up. Basically, I don’t think it is feasible to back-port everything. Furthermore, 1.2.0 will be a minor version for which it is reasonable to expect users of earlier versions to upgrade to without major hassle. In any software it is expected that there will be divergence across minor versions. New versions become available because they have improvements and and sometimes new, small, features in it. If the user wants to benefit from those improvements, she/he will have to upgrade to the most recent version. Compatibility should be accounted for across versions, but as Stig mentioned, for the most part we believe it has been.

Although it is possible to copy the 1.x storm-kafka-client changes to 1.1.x and 1.0.x, that same argument could be made for every other connector or storm component, and I am not sure it’s a good principle. I just think that it’s natural and beneficial to the community and the product that users keep upgrading (especially across backwards compatible versions), rather that keeping on patching things up.

A few more opinions on storm-kafka-client
- Can we identify the pros and cons of keeping Kafka 0.9 dependencies, and unless there are very strong reasons not to do so, simply upgrade to a more recent version.

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bobby Evans <ev...@oath.com.INVALID>.
I agree about decoupling storm-kafka from storm core for releases.

We put them together initially because we wanted storm to come with
batteries included.  We have made some major changes to storm over the
years and it has been good to have kafka integration, along with a lot of
other integration, ready from day one each time we make a change.

But it is obvious that kafka is changing very quickly too and trying to
keep something in sync with both kafka and storm is likely going to require
a faster release cadence.  Plus it looks like there is enough of a
community around storm kafka integration that it can survive without the
storm project attached directly to it.

To make this happen though someone is going to need to step up and take
lead on this.

We will need a plan on what to do (is it becoming a separate repo with a
separate release cycle but still a part of the storm project?)
Do we plan to spin it off to be an incubator project on its own?

Once we decide that we can then have a vote and get started with it.