Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Kent Tong <fr...@yahoo.com> on 2011/12/15 11:58:33 UTC

performance reaching plateau while the hardware is still idle

Hi,

I am running a performance test for Cassandra 1.0.5. It can perform about 1500 business operation (one read+one write to the same row) per second. However, the CPU is still 85% idle (as shown by vmstat) and the IO utilization is less than a few percent (as shown by iostat). "nodetool tpstats" shows basically no active and pending threads. I can run several such test clients concurrently, achieving the same operations per second without increasing the hardware utilization. So, why the performance has reached a plateau while there is still idle hardware resources?

Thanks in advance for any idea!

Re: performance reaching plateau while the hardware is still idle

Posted by Kent Tong <fr...@yahoo.com>.
Dear all,

Thanks for the good suggestions! I believe it is because the test client is single-threaded, so only server thread is serving it, so the rest of the cores are just sitting idle.

Thanks!

--
Author of books for learning CXF, Axis2, Wicket, JSF (http://www.agileskills2.org)

Posted by ruslan usifov <ru...@gmail.com>.