Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Simon Anderson <si...@photon.com.au> on 2005/03/31 02:39:43 UTC

SVN for binary asset management

Hi,

I could use some advice on Subversion's suitability for asset management
in the film industry.

Commercial products such as Alienbrain (http://alienbrain.com/whde.php)
are available for use as a repository/change control solution. I wonder
if Subversion could be used as the basis for a F/OSS alternative.

Generally, the data is gigabytes of (primarily) image and movie files
stored on a SAN. The users are artists (animators, compositors,
lighters, etc.) editors, visual effects supervisors, producers,
administrators and the like all who interact with the data in slightly
different ways. On the back end is a render farm that would also
interface with the repository.

Does this sound like something that Subversion could be good for?

-Simon.

Re: SVN for binary asset management

Posted by Madan U Sreenivasan <ma...@collab.net>.
On Thu, 2005-03-31 at 09:39, David Ripton wrote:
> On 2005.03.31 14:39:43 +0000, Simon Anderson wrote:
> > I could use some advice on Subversion's suitability for asset management
> > in the film industry.
> svn doesn't make it easy to delete excess data from the repository to
> save space.  (You have to do a dump and filter and load, and this
> changes revision numbers.)  So if you don't have space to remember every
> change, the administrator and users are in for some pain.
>
> I suspect these shortcomings will all be fixed someday.
IMHO thats what is required of a vcs like svn. Capturing *all* changes
over time.
btw, Is this possible and easier in CVS?

My suggestion for this case would be the following setup. Pl. give your
inputs...
/repos/index
/repos/music/artist1/album-1
/repos/music/artist1/album-2
/repos/music/artist2/album-1
/repos/movies/artist1/album-1
where each of the above are repositories ( that could be loaded and
unloaded with normal OS calls ) and the index is the key to retrieve the
repos path required. The data in index could be *trimmed* to be insync
with the other repository sturctures...

Re: SVN for binary asset management

Posted by David Ripton <dr...@ripton.net>.
On 2005.03.31 14:39:43 +0000, Simon Anderson wrote:
> I could use some advice on Subversion's suitability for asset management
> in the film industry.
>
> Commercial products such as Alienbrain (http://alienbrain.com/whde.php)
> are available for use as a repository/change control solution. I wonder
> if Subversion could be used as the basis for a F/OSS alternative.
>
> Generally, the data is gigabytes of (primarily) image and movie files
> stored on a SAN. The users are artists (animators, compositors,
> lighters, etc.) editors, visual effects supervisors, producers,
> administrators and the like all who interact with the data in slightly
> different ways. On the back end is a render farm that would also
> interface with the repository.
>
> Does this sound like something that Subversion could be good for?

svn does not yet support locking, and relies on merging of parallel
changes instead.  Many people who work on binaries that are hard to
merge really want locking.  It's coming in 1.2.

Each svn working copy stores two copies of each versioned file.  This is
a good space-for-speed tradeoff when you're versioning small text files
and the repository is far away, but a bad one for huge binaries.

svn doesn't make it easy to delete excess data from the repository to
save space.  (You have to do a dump and filter and load, and this
changes revision numbers.)  So if you don't have space to remember every
change, the administrator and users are in for some pain.

I suspect these shortcomings will all be fixed someday.  But I don't
think the current version of svn is what you want.  If it's important to
use a free program, you might want to look at cvs.

--
David Ripton    dripton@ripton.net

Correction: SVN for binary asset management

Posted by Simon Anderson <si...@photon.com.au>.
Sorry, "Gigabytes of image and movie files" should have read "Terrabytes
of image and movie files."

Simon Anderson <si...@photon.com.au>

Re: SVN for binary asset management

Posted by Early Ehlinger <ea...@respower.com>.
Hi Simon,

Over here at the ResPower Super/FarmT, we use SVN for managing quite a bit
of our assets, including our test suite that we use to validate features of
our farm.  So I can say wholeheartedly that yes, subversion is quite
suitable for the film industry.  It works great with binaries (unlike some
other version control systems I've used.... *cough* sourcesafe *cough* rcs
*cough*) and the cross-platform support is very nice as well.  E.g., we
routinely use it to sync up source and test multimedia scenes between OSX,
Linux and Windows.

And since our tests are often intended to reproduce some of the wackier
problems we've encountered as the world's premiere self-service render farm,
you can rest assured that SVN handles some pretty strange scenarios quite
well.

--
Best Regards,
- Early Ehlinger - President&CEO - ResPower, Inc - www.ResPower.com

[Yes, 2.8 TeraHertz - 2,800 Gigahertz.  2,800,000 Megahertz.
2,800,000,000 Kilohertz.  2,800,000,000,000 Clock Cycles Per Second.
Every second.  24 hours a day.  7 Days a week.  Upload your 3D scenes and
feel the speed!]