Posted to phoenix-dev@avalon.apache.org by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> on 2002/11/27 08:46:48 UTC

[VOTE] Use a unified avalon-dev and avalon-user mailing list

I propose that we switch to a single avalon-dev and avalon-user mailing
list.

It enables us to follow better all that is happening in avalon-land, and
is much more important now that we are working on a unified vision.

Please cast your votes (on avalon-dev@jakarta.apache.org):

mine: +1

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Posted by Ed Coughlin <ec...@gollaborate.com>.
+1

Posted by Timothy Bennett <ex...@comcast.net>.
unified!

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.
+1

--

Stephen J. McConnell

OSM SARL
digital products for a global economy
mailto:mcconnell@osm.net
http://www.osm.net

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Mauro Talevi wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>> I would like to remind that only active committer votes are binding.
>
> sure - but it should also be clear if you are seeking only the
> committers' vote or generic list member opinions.
>
> Mine was the latter.

I appreciate you stating your opinion and your non-binding vote, my
clarification was not directed to you in particular.

Thank you.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Posted by Mauro Talevi <ma...@aquilonia.org>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> I would like to remind that only active committer votes are binding.

sure - but it should also be clear if you are seeking only the
committers' vote
or generic list member opinions.

Mine was the latter.
Regards, Mauro

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mauro Talevi <ma...@aquilonia.org>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.

On Mon, 2 Dec 2002 20:56, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> > +1 nicolaken, neeme, leosutic, leosimons, mcconnell,
> >     bloritsch, stefano, giacomo
> > +0 crafterm
> > -0
> > -1 hammant, leif

+0

Carsten

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>.
On Mon, 2 Dec 2002 20:56, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> +1 nicolaken, neeme, leosutic, leosimons, mcconnell,
>     bloritsch, stefano, giacomo
> +0 crafterm
> -0
> -1 hammant, leif

-1 for same reasons as hammant, leif

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>.
On Tue, 3 Dec 2002 20:55, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Peter Donald wrote:
> > Does this mean that any change that is not code based can be got through
> > via a simple majority vote?
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/drafts/voting.html
>
> "Votes on procedural issues follow the common format of majority rule
> unless otherwise stated. That is, if there are more favourable votes
> than unfavourable ones, the issue is considered to have passed --
> regardless of the number of votes in each category. (If the number of
> votes seems too small to be representative of a community consensus, the
> issue is typically not pursued. However, see the description of lazy
> consensus  for a modifying factor.)"

great. I have a bunch of votes to prepare then ;)

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>.

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>.

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.
Peter Donald wrote:

>Does this mean that any change that is not code based can be got through via a
>simple majority vote?

Democracy is like the force.  It has a light side, and a dark side, and
it binds the universe together ...

Steve.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>.
Does this mean that any change that is not code based can be got through via a
simple majority vote?

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
Duct tape is like the force.  It has a light side, and a dark side, and
it binds the universe together ...
                -- Carl Zwanzig

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Sam Ruby wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>

>> All traffic from these lists:
>>
>>    avalon-phoenix-dev@jakarta.apache.org
>>    avalon-apps-dev@jakarta.apache.org
>>
>> will be routed to avalon-dev@jakarta.apache.org, and users from those
>> lists will be automatically moved to avalon-dev@jakarta.apache.org.
>>
>> Please make it happen, thank you.
>

> Done.  Note that anybody who used different ids to subscribe to the
> different mailing lists will now get multiple copies.

I've also changed the jakarta mail links to reflect this, they will be
picked up at the next site refresh.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> All traffic from these lists:
>
>    avalon-phoenix-dev@jakarta.apache.org
>    avalon-apps-dev@jakarta.apache.org
>
> will be routed to avalon-dev@jakarta.apache.org, and users from those
> lists will be automatically moved to avalon-dev@jakarta.apache.org.
>
> Please make it happen, thank you.

Done.  Note that anybody who used different ids to subscribe to the
different mailing lists will now get multiple copies.

- Sam Ruby

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
We have decided

     o Use a unified avalon-dev mailing list
         (and avalon-user remains separate)
       +1: nicolaken, neeme, leosutic, mcconnell, bloritsch,
           stefano, giacomo
       +0: crafterm, cziegeler
       -0: leosimons
       -1: hammant, leif, donaldp

about unifying all avalon dev lists to a single avalon-dev list.
The avalon-user mailing list will remain.

This means that if the proposal passes, Avalon will have just three
mailing lists:

    avalon-dev@jakarta.apache.org
    avalon-user@jakarta.apache.org
    avalon-cvs@jakarta.apache.org

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 2002-12-02 at 10:56, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> The vote is about unifying all avalon dev lists to a single avalon-dev list.
> The avalon-user mailing list will remain.

<snip/>

> +1 nicolaken, neeme, leosutic, leosimons, mcconnell,
>     bloritsch, stefano, giacomo
> +0 crafterm
> -0
> -1 hammant, leif
>
> Since (my fault) the mail subject and content has got people confused,
> and since it's possible that I have counted wrong, please check the
> above partial results and if you still want, cast a vote or rectify.

I stated:

"
-0 for complete merge
+1 for merging avalon-apps into avalon-phoenix-dev
"

so the rectified list is:

+1 nicolaken, neeme, leosutic, mcconnell,
     bloritsch, stefano, giacomo
+0 crafterm
-0 leosimons
-1 hammant, leif

cheers,

- Leo

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
The vote is about unifying all avalon dev lists to a single avalon-dev list.
The avalon-user mailing list will remain.

This means that if the proposal passes, Avalon will have just three
mailing lists:

   avalon-dev@jakarta.apache.org
   avalon-user@jakarta.apache.org
   avalon-cvs@jakarta.apache.org

All traffic from these lists:

   avalon-phoenix-dev@jakarta.apache.org
   avalon-apps-dev@jakarta.apache.org

will be routed to avalon-dev@jakarta.apache.org, and users from those
lists will be automatically moved to avalon-dev@jakarta.apache.org.

Currently these are the valid votes I've counted.

  2002-11-27

+1 nicolaken, neeme, leosutic, leosimons, mcconnell,
    bloritsch, stefano, giacomo
+0 crafterm
-0
-1 hammant, leif

Since (my fault) the mail subject and content has got people confused,
and since it's possible that I have counted wrong, please check the
above partial results and if you still want, cast a vote or rectify.
If I have overlooked votes, please reply with a URL of the mailing list
archive so I can check the vote.

I'll leave another day for further votes, changes and clarifications.

Thank you.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Berin Loritsch wrote:
[...]
>>>Avalon user will remain separate anyway.
>
> You shouldn't have scared us like that.

Sorry, bad wording. No need to be scared, we can always explain
ourselves, no? :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@citi-us.com>.
> From: Marcus Crafter [mailto:crafterm@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net]
>
> On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 09:12:16AM +0100, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> > Probably I was not clear, it's about unifying
> >
> > avalon-dev@jakarta.apache.org
> > avalon-phoenix-dev@jakarta.apache.org
> > avalon-apps-dev@jakarta.apache.org

> > avalon-dev@jakarta.apache.org
>
> 	+0, I'm just wondering why there were separated in the
> first place ?
>
> 	BTW - what is the content of avalon-apps-dev - discussions about
> 	applications written using avalon ? that sounds more
> like a user list
> 	to me.

Apps was for the developers at the time who were swamping
the dev list with the work on AvalonDB, Proxy, etc.

Phoenix was for the developers focusing on Phoenix.

Posted by Marcus Crafter <cr...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>.
On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 09:12:16AM +0100, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Probably I was not clear, it's about unifying
>
> avalon-dev@jakarta.apache.org
> avalon-phoenix-dev@jakarta.apache.org
> avalon-apps-dev@jakarta.apache.org

> avalon-dev@jakarta.apache.org

	+0, I'm just wondering why there were separated in the first place ?

	BTW - what is the content of avalon-apps-dev - discussions about
	applications written using avalon ? that sounds more like a user list
	to me.

> Avalon user will remain separate anyway.

	Cool.

	Cheers,

	Marcus

     ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
    $:         $$$$:   ManageSoft GmbH
     ;$,    _/\ &&:'   60327 Frankfurt Germany
       '     /( &&&
           \_&&&&'
          &&&&.
    &&&&&&&:

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@citi-us.com>.
> From: Nicola Ken Barozzi [mailto:nicolaken@apache.org]
>
> Joerg Buchberger wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > I'm a newbie user of Avalon and choose to express my
> > opinion here, since I don't have a right to vote.
> >
> > _Please_, keep avalon-users and avalon-dev mailing lists
> > separate.
>
> Yes.
>
> Probably I was not clear, it's about unifying
>
> avalon-dev@jakarta.apache.org
> avalon-phoenix-dev@jakarta.apache.org
> avalon-apps-dev@jakarta.apache.org

> avalon-dev@jakarta.apache.org
>
> Avalon user will remain separate anyway.
>
> Sorry for the confusion.

Your title is the problem.

+1 for unifying the developers lists.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by Joerg Buchberger <po...@joerg-buchberger.de>.
Hi.

I'm a newbie user of Avalon and choose to express my
opinion here, since I don't have a right to vote.

_Please_, keep avalon-users and avalon-dev mailing lists
separate.

There are so many meta discussions and future-related
discussions on avalon-dev, that are not relevant for users
who have to focus on handling Avalon as it _is now_.

Note, that I personally find those discussions on
avalon-dev _very_ interesting - because they can offer
insight into future development and deep insight into
technical issues etc. - very valuable indeed.
Nevertheless I prefer to have the option to choose
subscribing both lists and archive them separately.
This really makes work and focusing easier.

Best regards.
Joerg

Posted by Neeme Praks <ne...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Timothy Bennett <ex...@comcast.net>.
unified!

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2002-11-27 at 08:46, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> I propose that we switch to a single avalon-dev and avalon-user mailing
> list.

by this you mean reducing

avalon-dev@jakarta.apache.org
avalon-phoenix-dev@jakarta.apache.org
avalon-apps@jakarta.apache.org

avalon-dev@jakarta.apache.org

while keeping

avalon-user@jakarta.apache.org

> It enables us to follow better all that is happening in avalon-land, and
> is much more important now that we are working on a unified vision.

The disadvantage is that it will make it more difficult for people that
have no time to follow up on what is happening in avalon-land to follow
up on and contribute to the phoenix codebase.

Of course, the counterargument is that we should draw in those people
further, that we should work towards making sure that what is happening
in "avalon-land" is the same as what is happening in "phoenix-land".

I support the idea, and think it is a good idea in the long run. Making
this change now might be counterproductive. I think we should shelve
this change for a month, maybe two.

Posted by Timothy Bennett <ex...@comcast.net>.
unified!

Posted by Leo Sutic <le...@inspireinfrastructure.com>.

> From: Nicola Ken Barozzi [mailto:nicolaken@apache.org]

> I propose that we switch to a single avalon-dev and
> avalon-user mailing
> list.
>
> It enables us to follow better all that is happening in
> avalon-land, and
> is much more important now that we are working on a unified vision.
>
> Please cast your votes (on avalon-dev@jakarta.apache.org):
>
> mine: +1

I assume this means a reduction of all the avalon lists (avalon-dev,
phoenix-dev, phoenix-app-dev, ... ) to just two lists (avalon-dev and
avalon-users).

+1

Time for some unity.

/LS

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Peter Donald wrote:
> Agreed - with Nicola continuing to suggest that phoenix development should be
> stopped (despite saying he would not do that) and Stefanos "oh no Cocoon has
> been insulted lets attack Peter" fits I don't think it is conducive to
> continuing development.
>
> We could collapse -apps into phoenix as most of apps development has ceased to
> occur  now.

Disagree. Avalon should be just like any other apache project, one
development list and one users list. Period.

I vote +1 on Nicola's proposal to join communities back.

We won't loose people that care about Avalon. And this is what counts here.

--
Stefano Mazzocchi                               <st...@apache.org>

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Peter Donald wrote:
> with Nicola continuing to suggest that phoenix development should be
> stopped (despite saying he would not do that)

Whatever the Avalon community decides, it's good. If it's deemed best to
continue development of Avalon Phoenix while we are working on a new
design, I will back it entirely. Putting phoenix development on hold is
a possibility that has already been said, and not yet rectified IIUC.

But this has to be known and decided by all Avalon committers, hence my
proposal to merge all the dev lists. If development of containers
continues to be done in separate communities we will never get to a
common point.

Phoenix will be part of the new development. Making it go alone on its
path will not do any good to our goals. Merlin for example is still
being developed but with in mind the goal of a new system.

All development of Phoenix which are not bugfixes should be decided by
all with regards to this goal; if what has been proposed will bring it
nearer to the goal, I'm all for it, let's just all know it and back it.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
| Contrary to popular belief, UNIX is user-friendly. It   |
| just happens to be selective on who it makes friendship |
| with.                                                   |
|                       - Richard Cook                    |

Posted by Leif Mortenson <le...@tanukisoftware.com>.
I agree ( -1 )  I prefer keeping them separate.  It is already difficult
enough to keep up will
all the threads on avalon-dev.

Leif

Posted by Paul Hammant <pa...@yahoo.com>.
-1 (vote not veto).

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.
I don't think there are many *-user@ lists, are there?

+1 for unifying the *-dev@ lists. It's also a good approach to unify the
development comunity.

Giacomo

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Berin Loritsch wrote:
>
>>> From: Nicola Ken Barozzi [mailto:nicolaken@apache.org]
>>>
>>> I propose that we switch to a single avalon-dev and avalon-user
>>> mailing list.
>>>
>>> It enables us to follow better all that is happening in avalon-land,
>>> and is much more important now that we are working on a unified vision.
>>>
>>> Please cast your votes (on avalon-dev@jakarta.apache.org):
>>>
>>> mine: +1
>>

>> -1  We separated the mailing lists for a reason.  The user
>> questions will get lost in all of the development threads,
>> and the user won't get the answers they want.  With separate
>> threads, we can properly support our users while we are
>> embroiled in the design for Avalon 5 with ref. container.
>

> Careful, Nicola used very bad wording: hs is not proposing to unify
> *all* mail lists into one, he's proposing that we merge all
> development mail lists into one and all users mail list into one and
> result in just a single community of developers and a single community
> of users.
>
> I see *great* value on this proposal as the first *real* step in doing
> something to force people to collaborate.
>
> Right now, with the excuse of caring about his users, phoenix is
> effectively implementing stuff that is not decided by the avalon
> community. This means that the avalon PMC has no legal oversight on
> what's happening there. This is a serious concern. Bringing
> communities back together might slow down things a little on phoenix
> land but it is definately a good thing for Avalon in general.
>
> And this is why I voted +1

Good summary.

Its why I voted +1 as well - the community takes precedence over product.

Cheers, Steve.

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@citi-us.com>.
> From: Stefano Mazzocchi [mailto:stefano@apache.org]
>
> Berin Loritsch wrote:
> >>From: Nicola Ken Barozzi [mailto:nicolaken@apache.org]
> >>
> >>I propose that we switch to a single avalon-dev and
> >>avalon-user mailing
> >>list.
> >>
> >>It enables us to follow better all that is happening in
> >>avalon-land, and
> >>is much more important now that we are working on a unified vision.
> >>
> >>Please cast your votes (on avalon-dev@jakarta.apache.org):
> >>
> >>mine: +1
> >

> > -1  We separated the mailing lists for a reason.  The user
> > questions will get lost in all of the development threads,
> > and the user won't get the answers they want.  With separate
> > threads, we can properly support our users while we are
> > embroiled in the design for Avalon 5 with ref. container.
>
> Careful, Nicola used very bad wording: hs is not proposing to unify
> *all* mail lists into one, he's proposing that we merge all
> development
> mail lists into one and all users mail list into one and
> result in just
> a single community of developers and a single community of users.
>
> I see *great* value on this proposal as the first *real* step
> in doing
> something to force people to collaborate.
>
> Right now, with the excuse of caring about his users, phoenix is
> effectively implementing stuff that is not decided by the avalon
> community. This means that the avalon PMC has no legal oversight on
> what's happening there. This is a serious concern. Bringing
> communities
> back together might slow down things a little on phoenix land
> but it is
> definately a good thing for Avalon in general.
>
> And this is why I voted +1

And why *after* he clarified what he meant to do, I also
reverted my -1 and made it +1.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@citi-us.com>.

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.