Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Andreas Hartmann <an...@wyona.org> on 2003/05/09 13:19:13 UTC

[RT] Publication inheritance, publication templates

Hi Lenya developers,

the previous idea (forrest pseudo-publication) led me
to another thought. It should be possible to generalize
this principle for arbitrary publications.

In publication.xml, we could allow to specify a
"base publication". This base publication is copied to
the build tree before the content of the actual
publication. The "content" directory is omitted.

You, as a newbie, could then

- start your publication with an empty directory,

- put a publication.xml in there containing

   <lenya:publication xmlns:lenya="http://lenya.org/2003/publication">
     <lenya:base-publication>oscom</lenya:base-publication>
     <lenya:name>My Publication</lenya:name>
   </lenya:publication>

- add your own content

If you're more familiar with Lenya, you can
- add your design (first overriding the CSS files,
   then adding XSLTs etc.
- override any files you want

Advantages:
- low entry barrier
- the newbie's publication directory contains only the things
   he already understood
- improvements of the base publication are reflected in the
   actual publication

Of course, changes of the base publication can lead to problems, too.

The inheritance principle would allow to create "publication templates"
(like the "forrest" template) that contain a default skeleton for a
typical publication type.

What do you think?

Andreas

RE: [RT] Publication inheritance, publication templates

Posted by Mehmet Birgi <me...@birgi.ch>.
Hi Andreas, Hi All,

This proposal goes into a direction that I have been thinking about lately,
so this might be a good time to come forward with it (to hell with the
dayjob :-)

As a means to lowering the entry barrier, I have been thinking of something
that I have (tentatively) dubbed "Lenya-Beans". The idea is that these beans
would represent publishing objects starting at the lowest level, like
"textbox", "menu item", whatever. One would be able to aggregate these
beans, and the result would still be a bean, possible to aggregate further.
This would lead to beans like "menu", "tablist", even "photo-album". Some
sample publications, representing different types of publishing needs, would
demonstrate the use of these beans, providing at the same time an easy way
to start customizing them at the level needed.

Ideally, the number of standard-beans (provided with Lenya) would grow, as
people create their own beans and donate them back to Lenya. Of course, the
building of a publication from beans would have to occur through some
HTML-GUI, so that no coding is needed to get started.

I belive that, to enable "strangers" to check out Lenya, they should be able
to build their own trial publication in about 1 hour.

What do you think?

memo

---