Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by "Gokulakannan M (Engineering - Data Platform)" <go...@flipkart.com> on 2016/02/25 06:39:05 UTC

Namenode shutdown due to long GC Pauses

Hi,

It is known that namenode shuts down when a long GC pause happens when NN
writes edits to journal nodes - Namenode thinks that journal nodes didn't
respond but actually it was due to the long GC pause. Any pointers on
solving this issue?

Re: Namenode shutdown due to long GC Pauses

Posted by bappa kon <or...@gmail.com>.
Can you also share the GC details and jmap histogram output?

Thanks

Posted by bappa kon <or...@gmail.com>.

Posted by bappa kon <or...@gmail.com>.

Posted by bappa kon <or...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Gokulakannan M (Engineering - Data Platform)" <go...@flipkart.com>.
Hi Jitendra,

Re: Namenode shutdown due to long GC Pauses

Posted by "Gokulakannan M (Engineering - Data Platform)" <go...@flipkart.com>.
Hi Jitendra,

Re: Namenode shutdown due to long GC Pauses

Posted by "Gokulakannan M (Engineering - Data Platform)" <go...@flipkart.com>.
Hi Jitendra,

Re: Namenode shutdown due to long GC Pauses

Posted by "Gokulakannan M (Engineering - Data Platform)" <go...@flipkart.com>.
Hi Jitendra,

Re: Namenode shutdown due to long GC Pauses

Posted by bappa kon <or...@gmail.com>.

Posted by bappa kon <or...@gmail.com>.

Posted by bappa kon <or...@gmail.com>.

Posted by bappa kon <or...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sandeep Nemuri <nh...@gmail.com>.

wrote:

> This happened to us. Our namenodes are on a virtual machine, and
> reducing the number of replication locations of the journal node to
> 1 (it's backed by by a safe raid array anyway) solved the problem.
>
> Regards,
> LLoyd
>
> On 25 February 2016 at 06:39, Gokulakannan M (Engineering - Data
> Platform) <go...@flipkart.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > It is known that namenode shuts down when a long GC pause happens when NN
> > writes edits to journal nodes - Namenode thinks that journal nodes didn't
> > respond but actually it was due to the long GC pause. Any pointers on
> > solving this issue?

*  Regards*
*  Sandeep Nemuri*

Re: Namenode shutdown due to long GC Pauses

Posted by Sandeep Nemuri <nh...@gmail.com>.

wrote:

> This happened to us. Our namenodes are on a virtual machine, and
> reducing the number of replication locations of the journal node to
> 1 (it's backed by by a safe raid array anyway) solved the problem.
>
> Regards,
> LLoyd
>
> On 25 February 2016 at 06:39, Gokulakannan M (Engineering - Data
> Platform) <go...@flipkart.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > It is known that namenode shuts down when a long GC pause happens when NN
> > writes edits to journal nodes - Namenode thinks that journal nodes didn't
> > respond but actually it was due to the long GC pause. Any pointers on
> > solving this issue?

*  Regards*
*  Sandeep Nemuri*

Re: Namenode shutdown due to long GC Pauses

Posted by Sandeep Nemuri <nh...@gmail.com>.

wrote:

> This happened to us. Our namenodes are on a virtual machine, and
> reducing the number of replication locations of the journal node to
> 1 (it's backed by by a safe raid array anyway) solved the problem.
>
> Regards,
> LLoyd
>
> On 25 February 2016 at 06:39, Gokulakannan M (Engineering - Data
> Platform) <go...@flipkart.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > It is known that namenode shuts down when a long GC pause happens when NN
> > writes edits to journal nodes - Namenode thinks that journal nodes didn't
> > respond but actually it was due to the long GC pause. Any pointers on
> > solving this issue?

*  Regards*
*  Sandeep Nemuri*

Re: Namenode shutdown due to long GC Pauses

Posted by Sandeep Nemuri <nh...@gmail.com>.

wrote:

> This happened to us. Our namenodes are on a virtual machine, and
> reducing the number of replication locations of the journal node to
> 1 (it's backed by by a safe raid array anyway) solved the problem.
>
> Regards,
> LLoyd
>
> On 25 February 2016 at 06:39, Gokulakannan M (Engineering - Data
> Platform) <go...@flipkart.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > It is known that namenode shuts down when a long GC pause happens when NN
> > writes edits to journal nodes - Namenode thinks that journal nodes didn't
> > respond but actually it was due to the long GC pause. Any pointers on
> > solving this issue?

*  Regards*
*  Sandeep Nemuri*

Re: Namenode shutdown due to long GC Pauses

Posted by Namikaze Minato <ll...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Namikaze Minato <ll...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Namikaze Minato <ll...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Namikaze Minato <ll...@gmail.com>.