Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Bruno Aranda - Dev <br...@ebiointel.com> on 2004/12/24 12:08:57 UTC

Localization for catalan (ca / es_CA)

Hi,

I've seen in the CVS that the file for messages in catalan (current
Messages_es_CA.properties) is the spanish file (Messages_es), so there is
a mistake here. I've checked the catalan file in the ASF JIRA MYFACES-59
and it is OK.
The message files for the examples are OK, except if we apply the next
paragraph :P

The catalan language is more commonly writen with the ISO language
identifier 'ca' (Messages_ca, for instance) because catalan is not a
dialect from spanish, but it is a different latin language (such as french
or italian). In my browser (Firefox), for example, when I configure the
catalan language it looks for the 'ca' identifier.

Language codes -> http://ftp.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/http/related/iso639.txt

Thanks,

Bruno

RE: Localization for catalan (ca / es_CA)

Posted by Bruno Aranda - ebioIntel <br...@ebiointel.com>.
Well, canadian is not a language itself. I think they mostly speak english
and french (en_CA, fr_CA). The domain for canada is 'ca' but it is not the
language identifier, as it does not exist. You can check the ISO language
codes for that matter. Domain codes don't match language identifiers in
many cases, as there are countries which don't have an own language. For
example, Argentina with domain .com.ar use the language id es_AR, as they
speak a different variety of Spanish. I've always used the code ca for
catalan and browsers understand it well and show the pages in catalan (if
the browser is properly configured, of course) :-)

Regards,
Bruno

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@matthias-wessendorf.de>.