Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com> on 2007/11/19 18:29:52 UTC

Re: [Fwd: Re: QPID clustering]

I've started some HA work on the C++ broker trunk, its currently in
suspended animation while I focus attention on performance of the core
functionality.

So far the cluster supports replicated "wiring" (queue & exchange
declarations) via OpenAIS, a reliable multicast protocol.

Next step is to replicate queue state. This could be done via multicast
also but there's an argument that replicating point-to-point to a
limited number of backups will be make less inclined to saturate the
network. I expect I will experiment with both to see how it works out. A
full N-way, all-multicast solution has the advantage of being more
robust and a lot simpler to configure, but the performance benefits may
make a limited-backup point-to-point option viable as well.

Thre's some more detail at
http://cwiki.apache.org/qpid/cluster-design-note.html - its slightly out
of date as it still talks in terms of the 0-8 protocol, but the concepts
are pretty much the same.

I expect to get back to this full time within the next month or so, very
happy to hear any suggestions you might have.

Cheers,
Alan.