Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Mike Peachey <mi...@port.im> on 2015/04/14 12:49:55 UTC

[users@httpd] httpd 2.4.12 ignoring net.ipv4.ip_local_port_range

Hi all,

Will try to be concise:

OS: Amazon Linux 2015.03 x86_64
Precise package: httpd24-2.4.12-1.60.amzn1.x86_64

Apache httpd 2.4 in use as SSL proxy.

$ sysctl net.ipv4.ip_local_port_range
net.ipv4.ip_local_port_range = 32768    61000

One remote client was unable to connect. Amazon subnet ACL in place
permitting response communication with the ephemeral port rage 32768-61000
as defined in /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_local_port_range and confirmed as above
by sysctl. Client successfully connected after enlarging subnet ACL to
permit responses on 1025-65536.

Once client connected (<remote ipv4 addr 1>); the following shows in netstat

tcp        0      0 ::ffff:<local ipv4 addr>:443      ::ffff:<remote ipv4
addr 1>:63158    TIME_WAIT   -
tcp        0      0 ::ffff:<local ipv4 addr>:443      ::ffff:<remote ipv4
addr 1>:63156    TIME_WAIT   -
tcp        0      0 ::ffff:<local ipv4 addr>:443      ::ffff:<remote ipv4
addr 1>:63157    TIME_WAIT   -
tcp        0      0 ::ffff:<local ipv4 addr>:443      ::ffff:<remote ipv4
addr 2>:42875 TIME_WAIT   -
tcp        0      0 ::ffff:<local ipv4 addr>:443      ::ffff:<remote ipv4
addr 1>:63159    TIME_WAIT   -

This client is getting responses from httpd on ports 63156+

As far as I understand it this should not be permitted as the maximum local
port is set to 61000.

Bug? Feature?

Thanks in advance.
--
Mike Peachey
mike.peachey@port.im

Re: [users@httpd] httpd 2.4.12 ignoring net.ipv4.ip_local_port_range

Posted by Mike Peachey <mi...@port.im>.
Of course you are right. I considered the client would be the issue and do
not now remember why I discounted it. Thank you.

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.