Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@oracle.com> on 2017/05/29 15:45:54 UTC

History was: Current status of Apache NetBeans donation

On pondělí 29. května 2017 15:39:37 CEST Emilian Bold wrote:
> Since you are donating a ZIP with a specific snapshot of a subset of the
> files does that mean that all history will be lost?

No, I hope it will not get lost and your work will still be useful. We are not
the first one who needs to solve this history/historyless issue: even Linux
kernel had to do that. As such there is "git replace" which allows one to join
previous history into a repo without history.

I assume that Apache will host pristine - Apache approved repository - without
pre-Apache history. People who will be interested in doing real work will join
your repository via the "git replace" command and will be able to see why the
code looks like it does.

We did a bit of testing, but details are tbd.
-jt