Posted to solr-dev@lucene.apache.org by Lukáš Vlček <lu...@gmail.com> on 2009/09/03 15:42:50 UTC

Solr development with IntelliJIDEA - looking for advice

Hello,
I noticed that several developers (Yonik, Grant, ... ?) are using
IntelliJIDEA for Solr development. Is anybody willing to share his/her
experience about how to setup and open Solr project in IntelliJIDEA? I am
quite new to IntelliJIDEA and I would greatly appreciate any *how-to* or
*for dummies* step-by-step tutorial. I tried to create a new project in IDEA
from existing sources (fresh solr-trunk) and simply followed the wizard but
this does not seem to be the best option (getting some circular dependencies
and missing classpath issues).

Note: I am using IntelliJIDEA 8.1.3

Regards,
Lukas

Re: Solr development with IntelliJIDEA - looking for advice

Posted by Lukáš Vlček <lu...@gmail.com>.
I am trying to learn IDEA, I have been using it for few weeks and I really
it.Try asking some of core solr developer which are using IDEA why did they
choose it.

Regards,
Lukas

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: However, a section in the source tree with ready-made configuration files
: for each IDE would be handy.

this was discussed once upon a time ... the problem is that while it's
easy for committers to accept contributions from users for config files
for their favorite IDEs, making sure the config files are kept up to date
is infeasible (both in terms of IDEs changing over time, and solr changing
over time) and having those files in the source tree could imply that they
werre endorsed or maintained.

a decision was made that it would be better to just have contributors
share configuration tips/examples via the wiki...

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/HowToContribute#head-71ebe6163d8fffbd0cbd6261edcae2bb0e138798

:
: On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 4:18 PM, Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>wrote:
:
: >
: > : is IntelliJIDEA is a free java IDE? Why can not use Eclipse, which is
: > perhaps more popular and free?
: >
: > please, no holy wars about editors/IDEs on the list.
: >
: > Asking for help configuring a particular IDE to work with solr is on
: > topic; interogating someone about why they use IDE X instead of Y is not.
: > If you don't approave of someones choice of IDE, just ignore the message.
: >
: > (likewise for servlet containers)
: >
: > -Hoss
: >
: >
:
:
: --
: Lance Norskog
: goksron@gmail.com
:

-Hoss

Re: Solr development with IntelliJIDEA - looking for advice

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.
Indeed!

--
Lance Norskog
goksron@gmail.com

Re: Solr development with IntelliJIDEA - looking for advice

Posted by Pradeep Pujari <Pr...@rocketmail.com>.

Posted by Lukáš Vlček <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lukáš Vlček <lu...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>.

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 9:43 PM, Lukáš Vlček <lu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Grant,
> Are you able to run single unit test from IDEA? How do you setup resource
> folders for tests in this case?
> Or do you run it manually from command line via ant?

To run a test from IDEA, set the start path (I don't remember the exact
name) to src/test/test-files. To run only one single test from ant use
-Dtestcase=<class-name>

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: Solr development with IntelliJIDEA - looking for advice

Posted by Lukáš Vlček <lu...@gmail.com>.
Grant,

Posted by rajan chandi <ch...@gmail.com>.
It is very easy to setup Solr in NetBeans.
We just checked it out from the SVN, add libraries/sources and it is ready
to go.
Ant and stuff needs to be done through command-line, If that's not
configured.

Regards
Rajan

Posted by Lukáš Vlček <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
I usually skip through the Wizard stuff as fast as possible and then
just add the modules by hand, as IntelliJ thinks it is smart at this
stuff when it really isn't.  For the core Solr, I create a "Project
Library" dependency that has 3 JAR Directories as dependencies:
./lib
example/lib
example/lib/jsp-2.1

YMMV.

This is one place where Maven is _so much better_ than Ant.  Point
IntelliJ at the pom.xml, and you have it all setup, including all the
submodules, etc.

On Sep 3, 2009, at 6:42 AM, Lukáš Vlček wrote:

> Hello,
> I noticed that several developers (Yonik, Grant, ... ?) are using
> IntelliJIDEA for Solr development. Is anybody willing to share his/her
> experience about how to setup and open Solr project in IntelliJIDEA?
> I am
> quite new to IntelliJIDEA and I would greatly appreciate any *how-
> to* or
> *for dummies* step-by-step tutorial. I tried to create a new project
> in IDEA
> from existing sources (fresh solr-trunk) and simply followed the
> wizard but
> this does not seem to be the best option (getting some circular
> dependencies
> and missing classpath issues).
>
> Note: I am using IntelliJIDEA 8.1.3
>
> Regards,