Posted to general@hadoop.apache.org by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org> on 2010/07/21 17:31:39 UTC

Bay Area HUG tonight

Don't forget that after taking off June for the Hadoop Summit, Yahoo
is continuing to host the monthly Bay Area HUG tonight. One
organizational note is that Shusheel Kaushik (susheel@yahoo-inc.com)
has taken over from Dekel organizing the Bay Area HUGs, so please send
your suggestions for ideas to him.

Tonight's agenda is:
* 6:00 - 6:30 - Socializing and Beers
* 6:30 – 7:00 – Online Content Optimization with Hadoop, Nitin Motgi,
Yahoo!
We make extensive use of Hadoop technology stack in our content
optimization systems. Using Hadoop, we are able to scale to build
models for millions of items, and users in near-real time. We leverage
HBase for point lookups/stores of these models. We also use Pig for
phrasing our workflows so the map-reduce parallelism is abstracted out
of core processing.
* 7:00 - 7:30 – Hadoop at eBay, Anil Madan, eBay
This talk will illustrate how eBay is leveraging its data assets to do
advanced insights and analytics.
Learn how eBay is sourcing huge volumes of data into the cluster and
running Click Stream and Transactional data analysis for user
behavior, search quality and research use cases.
Anil Madan is the Director of Engineering at eBay responsible for
Hadoop cluster build out.
* 7:30 – 8:00 - Introduction to Avro, Doug Cutting, Cloudera
Avro is a serialization system. It supports interoperable, efficient,
dynamic data storage and RPC.
It's currently implemented in C, C++, Java, Python and Ruby. Support
for Map-Reduce over Avro data is being developed, and we expect Hadoop
to eventually move to Avro for its RPC.

You can sign up on meetup: http://bit.ly/9UAnIN

-- Owen