Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by patsfan <ap...@gmail.com> on 2012/07/25 17:10:08 UTC

Specifying JMX Port for Embedded Broker without external configuration

Hi,

We have an application that is deployed in JBoss that utilizes Spring.  Our
spring configuration has the following for ActiveMQ configuration.  For our
development environment, the following is what the configuration looks like
(after property substitution):

	<bean id="internalJmsFactory"
		<property name="brokerURL"
value="vm://localhost?broker.useJmx=true&amp;broker.persistent=false&amp;broker.useShutdownHook=false"/>
	</bean>

and then we rely on ActiveMQ to create the broker upon creating a
connection.  As you can tell, we have broker.useJmx set to true.  When
deploying the application in JBoss (4.x) this is problematic, because JBoss
grabs port 1099 for naming and ActiveMQ then cannot start it's own JMX.

Is there a way to set the JMX port number for JMX within the URL above or
somehow otherwise inject it without additional configuration?

We are trying to avoid having to explicitly create a broker either via
spring or code, because in production, we are connecting to an externally
deployed ActiveMQ instance using the failover:// URL and we do not run into
this issue when ActiveMQ is not embedded in JBoss.

Thanks in advance,

Re: Specifying JMX Port for Embedded Broker without external configuration

Posted by Gary Tully <ga...@gmail.com>.
not at the moment, what you need to configure is the managementContext
and that is nested within the broker so it is not configurable from
the simple string url.
It is only possible to set broker attributes/properties using that
mechanism at the moment.

Ideally you would be able to provide
vm://localhost?broker.useJmx=true&amp;broker.persistent=false&amp;broker.useShutdownHook=false&amp;broker-managementContext.createConnector=false
and the broker should use the mbean server of the container, ie the
mbean server from jboss.

Please raise an enhancement jira.
any property of the form broker-X.y is converted into broker.getX().setY

You can still inline the use of an external xml config using a url of the form:

<property name="brokerURL"
value="vm://localhost?brokerConfig=xbean:<url to activemq.xml   so
from file:/// or on the classpath > />

http://fusesource.com
http://blog.garytully.com