Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com> on 2010/06/25 20:31:31 UTC

Issue in transactional indexing?

All,
HBase 20.3 (yes I know we need to upgrade)...

One of the developers was trying to write a set of records to a table in hbase that has a transactional index (THBase)

In testing, they are writing records where the rowID  is based in part on a random number between 1 and n, so that over time, the row in the base table is "updated".

We're noticing that in the index, a null value is being written to the index table which causes subsequent scans to fail.
(Since this should be the row_id in the base table, this value should never be null.)

I'm curious if there is anyone who is using the transactional indexing and have come across this issue?

Thx

-Mike

RE: Issue in transactional indexing?

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.
Just to follow up...
Here's a message from an earlier thread that deals with the same problem...
http://osdir.com/ml/hbase-user-hadoop-apache/2010-03/msg00462.html

The reason why the scan fails with an NPE is that the index has a null in the __INDEX__ column.

So the question is if anyone has an idea why this is happening, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thx

-Mike