Posted to users@maven.apache.org by David Jackman <Da...@fastsearch.com> on 2007/01/10 16:37:45 UTC

Profile inheritance

I've searched the mail archives, and this question seems to be asked a
lot and answered never.

Are profiles inherited from parent poms?  The scant (and confusing) docs
seem to imply that they are, but doing a help:active-profiles command
does not agree with this.

Please someone explain how this is supposed to work.

..David..
FASTforward '07
The Industry's Largest Business &
Technology Conference Focused on Search
February 7th - 9th, San Diego, CA
www.fastforward07.com

Re: Profile inheritance

Posted by Arnaud Bailly <ab...@oqube.com>.
"David Jackman" <Da...@fastsearch.com> writes:

> Are profiles inherited from parent poms?  The scant (and confusing) docs
> seem to imply that they are, but doing a help:active-profiles command
> does not agree with this.
>
> Please someone explain how this is supposed to work.

Hello,
As a follow-up to John Casey's post, I can tell that according to my
own experiences:
 - profiles are not inherited per se (see JC's post) but their effects
 are
 - if you have profiles with the same id in several poms (and
 settings.xml), they are all activated in their own poms when invoking
 the build. Sort of method overloading ...

HTH,

--
OQube < software engineering \ génie logiciel >
Arnaud Bailly, Dr.

Re: Profile inheritance

Posted by John Casey <ca...@gmail.com>.
Profiles are not inherited, period.

Now, having said that, profiles in parent POMs can be triggered by the
building of a child. When activated, they are applied directly to the parent
POM, prior to that parent being used for inheritance into the child. So, the
effects of an active profile in a parent POM will be felt by the child.
Also, since a parent's profile is applied to it before inheritance
calculations take place, inheriting the profile itself (and presumably,
re-applying it at the child level) would lead to double-application of that
profile.

It's a little bit of a confusing topic, so I'm sorry if that explanation is
a bit jumbled. I hope if makes sense now.

-john