Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2012/11/21 20:50:30 UTC

Apache OpenOffice: Call for Marketing Volunteers

New blog post up:
https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/entry/call_for_marketing_volunteers

If anyone is interested, more detailed information is in the blog post
and referenced pages.

Also, I'd appreciate any help you might be able to offer in spreading
news of this blog post via Twitter, Facebook, Google+, etc.

Regards.

-Rob

Re: Apache OpenOffice: Call for Marketing Volunteers

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 3:01 PM, jan iversen <ja...@apache.org> wrote:
> You are doing an extremely fine job, recruiting new volunteers, and as we
> all can see it works (maybe we should get a couple more developers).
>
> Is somebody  doing a follow-up in the form of registering something like.
> - how many volunteers registered their interest,
> - how many are are still active after e.g. a month (can be any number) and
> have "passed" the introduction
> - how many are getting actively engaged.

By my rough counts we had 31 people express interest on the list
during our call for QA volunteers.  The mailing list subscribers went
from 61 to 81 in that time frame.

How many become and remain active is something we'll see over time.
But I think we need to start with the 20 or so whose partial attention
we have now.  That's why I shifted to the Marketing Call for
Volunteers now.  We'll treat the "Class of November 2012" QA
volunteers as a cadre and work with them for a while, until they find
their groove.  Then we can repeat.  But it would be chaos to continue
with 4 new volunteers popping onto the list every day.  IMHO.  But if
we do a "rolling recruitment" then we can be recruiting 100% of the
time, but for a different project discipline: QA, Marketing, then
maybe L10n, then Dev.

> I ask because all though I agree it is important to "catch" volunteers, it
> is just as important to make our community grow with a motivated base of
> people (In danish we have an expression "do you prefer 10 birds on the
> roof, or one in the hand"), and if a lot drop out at a given point, we
> might consider changing that point.

Well, right now, it appears that 1/3 cannot figure out how to sign up
for the mailing list, or it is not clear to them that they should.  So
that is one place where we're losing people.  On the other hand, this
might be a minimal test for following instructions.

-Rob

Posted by jan iversen <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 3:40 PM, jan iversen <ja...@apache.org> wrote:
> Thanks rob.
>
> I changed ssi.mdtext (in SVN) as you suggested, and just had to make a
> change on a page so I could get the site generated again, and IT WORKED !!
> so that is the way to do these kind of changes.
>
> In CMS there are two buttons "publish site", which is quite understandable,
> and "production", which I dont quite get...is it just calling up the url
> for me ?

Yup.  "production" is analogous to "staging", showing the current
version on the production versus staging server.  Generally you follow
those links from left to right, edit, then follow the staging build,
then verify on staging, then publish then verify on production server.

-Rob

Posted by jan iversen <ja...@apache.org>.
Thanks rob.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by jan iversen <ja...@apache.org>.
Help me out please...

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by jan iversen <ja...@apache.org>.
the l10n.openoffice.org, still has the old banner ?

Should I do something, I thought that when someone updated the master
template, it was all changed ??

I also tested qa.openoffice.org which are ok, in respect of the banner, but
has a message saying that the page is outdated, and the page it links to
seems not to use the standard layout and are without banner.

Is it just me being stupid again, or is something missing ? if not maybe we
should focus on getting our own pages right before we focus a lot on other
media.

just a thought.