Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Ong Leong Seng <ac...@comcrazy.info> on 2006/06/09 09:48:47 UTC

Track Document Version Number (Not SVN Revision) with easy searching

Hi all,

The scenario is I have one SVN repos store all my project document.
Below are the doc list.

1. User Manual (doc)
2. Project Plan (mpp)
3. Project Tracking Report (xls)
4. Risk Profile (doc)
5. ......

Before I use SVN, all document will be manually versioned after baseline
like userdoc_v1_1.doc, projplan_v2_3.mpp ......

After using SVN, all the file name became userdoc.doc, projplan.mpp in
order  for SVN to keep the change history.

I face a problem now, since I have commit a changes in any file for the
repos, the SVN revision number increase one that applicable to all doc.
If I have baseline my projplan.mpp (ver 2.4) at revision 560, projplan
(ver 2.5) at revision 600 and after that revision has been increase to
788 because of SVN commit.

At this point, I wish to retrieve the projplan.doc (ver 2.4) but I have
lost track which SVN revision number is the projplan.doc (ver 2.4).

Is there any way to track the document version number in order for easy
searching and reference?

Thank you

Cheeers,
James

Re: Track Document Version Number (Not SVN Revision) with easy searching

Posted by Ong Leong Seng <ac...@comcrazy.info>.
Hi Steve,

Thanks for your suggestion, but something I will update 10-20 files per
commit. If insert the doc version for every file, then is hard for me to
search when I refer back the log to just look for a particular version.

Just wonder got any other way for quick search.

Cheers,
James

Posted by Steve Williams <st...@kromestudios.com>.

--
Sly

This message and its attachments may contain legally privileged or confidential information. This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you may not copy or deliver this message or its attachments to anyone. Rather, you should permanently delete this message and its attachments and kindly notify the sender by reply e-mail. Any content of this message and its attachments, which does not relate to the official business of the sending company must be taken not to have been sent or endorsed by the sending company or any of its related entities. No warranty is made that the e-mail or attachment(s) are free from computer virus or other defect.

Re: Track Document Version Number (Not SVN Revision) with easy searching

Posted by Urs Thuermann <ur...@isnogud.escape.de>.
Ong Leong Seng <ac...@comcrazy.info> writes:

> I face a problem now, since I have commit a changes in any file for
> the repos, the SVN revision number increase one that applicable to all
> doc. If I have baseline my projplan.mpp (ver 2.4) at revision 560,
> projplan (ver 2.5) at revision 600 and after that revision has been
> increase to 788 because of SVN commit.
>
> At this point, I wish to retrieve the projplan.doc (ver 2.4) but I
> have lost track which SVN revision number is the projplan.doc (ver
> 2.4).

I think you should use tagging.  You don't need to tag whole
directories.  You can also do

    svn cp trunk/foo.doc tags/foo-2.4.doc

urs