Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Daniel Noll <da...@nuix.com> on 2010/05/26 08:56:33 UTC

Filter.getDocIdSet() returning null, and what this means for CachingWrapperFilter

Hi all.

We are seeing an exception like this:

java.lang.NullPointerException
    at org.apache.lucene.search.CachingWrapperFilter.docIdSetToCache(CachingWrapperFilter.java:84)
    at org.apache.lucene.search.CachingWrapperFilter.getDocIdSet(CachingWrapperFilter.java:112)
    at com.nuix.storage.search.LazyConstantScoreQuery$LazyFilterWrapper.getDocIdSet(SourceFile:91)
    at org.apache.lucene.search.ConstantScoreQuery$ConstantScorer.<init>(ConstantScoreQuery.java:116)
    at org.apache.lucene.search.ConstantScoreQuery$ConstantWeight.scorer(ConstantScoreQuery.java:81)
    at org.apache.lucene.search.BooleanQuery$BooleanWeight.scorer(BooleanQuery.java:297)
    at org.apache.lucene.search.BooleanQuery$BooleanWeight.scorer(BooleanQuery.java:297)
    at org.apache.lucene.search.QueryWrapperFilter$2.iterator(QueryWrapperFilter.java:75)

The class of our own is just an intermediary which delays creating the
Filter object...

        @Override
        public DocIdSet getDocIdSet(IndexReader reader) throws IOException {
            if (delegate == null) {
                delegate = factory.createFilter();
            }
            return delegate.getDocIdSet(reader);
        }

Tracing through the code in CachingWrapperFilter, I can see that this
NPE would occur if getDocIdSet() were to return null.

The Javadoc on Filter says that null will be returned if no documents
will be accepted by the filter, but it doesn't seem that Lucene itself
is handling null return values correctly, so which is correct?  The
code or the Javadoc?  Supposing that null really is OK, does this
cause any problems with how CachingWrapperFilter is implementing the
caching?  I notice it's calling get() and then comparing against null
so it wouldn't appear that it can distinguish "the entry isn't in the
cache" from "the entry is in the cache but it's null".

Daniel

Re: Filter.getDocIdSet() returning null, and what this means for CachingWrapperFilter

Posted by Daniel Noll <da...@nuix.com>.
On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 23:30, Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de> wrote:
> I opened https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-2478 and will fix soon!

It does sound like a good idea to not permit a null doc ID set, since
there is a convenient constant for the empty result anyway. :-)

And actually, it turns out that we were returning null due to a
legitimate problem, which makes it an even better idea to prohibit
returning null.  I already changed all the other places where we were
"conforming to the API" ( ;-) ) to return EMPTY_DOCIDSET anyway.

This leaves me with an even bigger mystery though, which will probably
result in another post sooner or later.

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
I opened https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-2478 and will fix soon!

-----