Posted to pylucene-dev@lucene.apache.org by Christian Heimes <li...@cheimes.de> on 2009/03/13 00:32:04 UTC

Re: [VOTE] Release PyLucene 2.4.1.y

Andi Vajda wrote:
> That's the problem. If I change my env or edit setup.py and config.py
> exists already because I already did a build, it is not going to be
> re-generated if I do 'python setup.py install' even though it should
> since 'install' calls 'build' (and people expect it to) yet 'build'
> doesn't appear in self.distutils.commands.

Oh heck, I totally forgot that use case. How about:

jcc/config.py is (re)created when:

 * the file doesn't exist
 * the modification time of setup.py is newer than the mtime
   of config.py
 * at least one environ variable starts with "JCC"
 * at least one distutils command starts with "bdist" or "build"

Christian

Re: [VOTE] Release PyLucene 2.4.1.y

Posted by Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>.
On Mar 12, 2009, at 16:32, Christian Heimes <li...@cheimes.de> wrote:

> Andi Vajda wrote:
>> That's the problem. If I change my env or edit setup.py and config.py
>> exists already because I already did a build, it is not going to be
>> re-generated if I do 'python setup.py install' even though it should
>> since 'install' calls 'build' (and people expect it to) yet 'build'
>> doesn't appear in self.distutils.commands.
>
> Oh heck, I totally forgot that use case. How about:
>
> jcc/config.py is (re)created when:
>
> * the file doesn't exist
> * the modification time of setup.py is newer than the mtime
>   of config.py

Simple enough.

> * at least one environ variable starts with "JCC"
> * at least one distutils command starts with "bdist" or "build"

Both scary.

It seems that the number of heuristics to introduce to fix this minor
inconvenience is oversized.

How about we address this differently by emitting a warning when
config.py is overwritten and 'install' is used (only) and it was
generated from JCC_ env vars earlier ?

Andi..