Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Sandra Carney <sc...@endocardial.com> on 2001/03/27 19:16:28 UTC

XML Schema support

Hello,
  We are a medical device manufacturer and we are examining the
  possibility of using XML documents to store aspects of our
  studies( we make a non-contact heart mapping system,
  Endocardial Solutions, Inc. ).  I began by experimenting
  with DTD's.  However, there doesn't seem to be any explicit
  support for floating point data.  Do we have to subclass,
  say, the Transcoder to accomodate floats?

  In the meantime, I started looking at XML Schema.  I wrote
  a .xsd file and a .xml file that uses the .xsd file.  I came
  to find out that Xerces C does not support XML Schema.  Is C++
  support coming?
Regards,
Sandra Carney

Re: XML Schema support

Posted by John Snelson <jp...@decisionsoft.com>.
Hi,

XML is an inherantly text data format, so there is no built in floating
point number support in the DOM. What most people do is to treat certain
parts of the XML tree as having a floating point value, and use
string-to-number and number-to-string routines to get the numeric values
from the strings.

For instance, you may make an XML document like this:

<data>
  <test number="1.12">
    <reading>7.54</reading>
    <reading>6.98</reading>
    <reading>7.24</reading>
  </test>
</data>

In which case, a floating point number can be extracted from the
"number" attribute of "test", and from each of the single text node
children of "reading".

John

Sandra Carney wrote:

> Hello,
>   We are a medical device manufacturer and we are examining the
>   possibility of using XML documents to store aspects of our
>   studies( we make a non-contact heart mapping system,
>   Endocardial Solutions, Inc. ).  I began by experimenting
>   with DTD's.  However, there doesn't seem to be any explicit
>   support for floating point data.  Do we have to subclass,
>   say, the Transcoder to accomodate floats?
>
>   In the meantime, I started looking at XML Schema.  I wrote
>   a .xsd file and a .xml file that uses the .xsd file.  I came
>   to find out that Xerces C does not support XML Schema.  Is C++
>   support coming?
> Regards,
> Sandra Carney

John Snelson, Software Engineer       DecisionSoft Ltd.
Telephone: +44-1865-203192            http://www.decisionsoft.com