Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Peter Horlock <pe...@googlemail.com> on 2009/06/12 11:02:28 UTC

Cocoon 2.1.11, Java 6 and Maven

Hi,

I just joined a company using Cocoon 2.1.11. Java 6 and Maven.
For them everything works fine, for me I get a ton of errors in Eclipse -
mostly conflicts concerning org.w3c. classes -

Imho these classes were implemented in Java 6, and did not exist before
that.
Maybe the reason I get those conflicts but my colleagues do not is that
their system
has "grown" in time, they most probably have Java 4, 5 and 6 on their
system, and so on.

Instead of fiddling, I would like to probably and once and for all fix this
problem for everyone.
I am quite new to Cocoon, so I don't know a lot. I read that you have to
compile Cocoon yourself.
I tried it on my system, seems to have failed:
cocoon-2.1.11$ cocoon.sh
[...]

Processing repository: ./tools/jetty/lib
Adding jar: ./tools/jetty/lib/servlet-2.3.jar
Adding jar: ./tools/jetty/lib/jetty-4.2.23.jar
Processing repository: ./lib/endorsed
Adding jar: ./lib/endorsed/xml-apis-1.3.04.jar
Adding jar: ./lib/endorsed/jakarta-regexp-1.5.jar
Adding jar: ./lib/endorsed/jakarta-bcel-20040329.jar
Adding jar: ./lib/endorsed/xercesImpl-2.9.1.jar
Adding jar: ./lib/endorsed/xalan-2.7.1.jar
-------------------- Executing -----------------
Main Class: org.mortbay.jetty.Server
10:37:01.525 EVENT  Checking Resource aliases
10:37:01.739 EVENT  Starting Jetty/4.2.23
10:37:01.758 WARN!! Web application not found ./build/webapp
10:37:01.759 WARN!! Configuration error on ./build/webapp
java.io.FileNotFoundException: ./build/webapp
    at
org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.WebApplicationContext.resolveWebApp(WebApplicationContext.java:249)
    at
org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.WebApplicationContext.start(WebApplicationContext.java:352)
    at org.mortbay.http.HttpServer.start(HttpServer.java:663)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.main(Server.java:429)
    at
    at
    at Loader.invokeMain(Unknown Source)
    at Loader.run(Unknown Source)
    at Loader.main(Unknown Source)

---
Does anyone already have a version for JDK 6, or maybe even a Maven pom file
at hand?

That would be most helpful, any help or comment appreciated.
P.s.: As I just joined the company, I would like to make them change as few
things as possible. I doubt it would be a good idea to suggest everyone to
change their entire system, especially as so far it works for them (but not
for me :-( )

Thanks in advance,

Peter

Re: Cocoon 2.1.11, Java 6 and Maven

Posted by Derek Hohls <DH...@csir.co.za>.
+1

>>> On 2009/06/15 at 10:41, in message <5c...@mail.gmail.com>, warrell harries <wa...@googlemail.com> wrote:
One of the nice things about the Cocoon 2.1x line is that oldies like me can just use a text editor and the command line. I never found Eclipse was worth the hassle and I was never quite sure what was going on behind the scenes. That risk can stifle progress and burn precious time when you start a new job and your colleagues are wanting to see some results of working on their codebase. they probably aren't sure how things are set-up either and no-one wants to look stupid by admitting their lack of knowledge. Sometimes the niceties of your environment. have to take a back seat to getting a simple tool-chain in place.

No help here I'm afraid just the ramblings of an ageing hacker :)

2009/6/12 Peter Horlock <pe...@googlemail.com>

Well, that was pretty dumb of me, that actually worked. Dunno why, I remeber I read I had to say cocoon.sh only.

However, now it seems like it build a file called "cocoon.jar" - I replaced the one I had in my Maven repo with this new one.
Are there anywhere any other jar files it generated?

E.g.:
<dependency>
<groupId>cocoon</groupId>
<artifactId>cocoon-xsp</artifactId>
<version>2.1.11</version>
</dependency>
<dependency>
<groupId>cocoon</groupId>
<artifactId>cocoon-chaperon</artifactId>
<version>2.1.11</version>
</dependency>
<dependency>
<groupId>cocoon</groupId>
<artifactId>cocoon-jsp</artifactId>
<version>2.1.11</version>
</dependency>
<dependency>
<groupId>cocoon</groupId>
<artifactId>cocoon-profiler</artifactId>
<version>2.1.11</version>
</dependency>
<dependency>
<groupId>cocoon</groupId>
<artifactId>cocoon-eventcache</artifactId>
<version>2.1.11</version>
</dependency>
<dependency>
<groupId>cocoon</groupId>
<artifactId>cocoon-mail</artifactId>
<version>2.1.11</version>
</dependency>
<dependency>
<groupId>cocoon</groupId>
<artifactId>cocoon-axis</artifactId>
<version>2.1.11</version>
</dependency>
<dependency>
<groupId>cocoon</groupId>
<artifactId>cocoon-taglib</artifactId>
<version>2.1.11</version>
</dependency>
<dependency>
<groupId>cocoon</groupId>
<artifactId>cocoon-forms</artifactId>
<version>2.1.11</version>
</dependency>
<dependency>
<groupId>cocoon</groupId>
<artifactId>cocoon-fop</artifactId>
<version>2.1.11</version>
</dependency>

Couldn't find any of these files in the build folder. I am not even sure if what I am doing makes any sense - all I am trying to do is to get those strange XML errors in eclipse disapear - some jars overwrite classes of the org.w3c package of Java 6.

I guess I still need a proper pom for cocoon, or so...

Thanks,

Posted by warrell harries <wa...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by warrell harries <wa...@googlemail.com>.
uhhhh - what about build.sh

Posted by Peter Horlock <pe...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by warrell harries <wa...@googlemail.com>.
Have you tried building Cocoon from the command line using build.bat?

Baby steps...