Posted to user@hive.apache.org by java8964 java8964 <ja...@hotmail.com> on 2012/12/03 16:42:59 UTC

Hive 0.7 use the old mapred API

Hi,
Our company current is using CDH3 release, which comes with Hive 0.7.1.
Right now, I have the data coming from another team, which also provides the custom InputFormat and RecorderReader, but using the new mapreduce API.
I am trying to build a hive table on these data, and hope I can reuse the existing InputFormat. But I got a problem, that in HIVE 0.7.x, only old API is supported.
I have 3 options now:
1) Upgrade whole hadoop system,which is not a real option as right now.2) Ask the other team to provide the custom InputFormat/RecorderReader under old mapred API. I am working on this, but not sure if it is possible or how long.3) Writable a wrapper class, providing old API based on the new API class. My question is, is the 3rd optional valid? Does anyone do the similar things before?

Thanks
Yong

Re: Hive 0.7 use the old mapred API

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.
this is an unfortunate issue with hive we only support mapred api not
mapreduce. If you look at the hbase and cassandra support you see that
sonetimes you can wrap a mapreduce input format by extending the new
interface and implementing the old one. So it is possible to use a newer
api but its ugly code wise. Cleaner would be to produce two distinct input
formats.

Posted by Mark Grover <gr...@gmail.com>.
Yong,