Posted to dev@asterixdb.apache.org by as...@googlecode.com on 2015/08/10 10:03:20 UTC

Issue 925 in asterixdb: Bloomfilter search preceded by primary index lookup after secondary index search is nothing but overhead since all primary keys returned from secondary indexes are all valid and exist.

Owner: kiss...@gmail.com
Labels: Type-Enhancement Priority-Medium

New issue 925 by kiss...@gmail.com: Bloomfilter search preceded by primary
https://code.google.com/p/asterixdb/issues/detail?id=925

Bloomfilter search preceded by primary index lookup after secondary index
search is nothing but overhead since all primary keys returned from
secondary indexes are all valid and exist.

issue notifications to this address.

Re: Issue 925 in asterixdb: Bloomfilter search preceded by primary index lookup after secondary index search is nothing but overhead since all primary keys returned from secondary indexes are all valid and exist.

Posted by as...@googlecode.com.
Comment #2 on issue 925 by kiss...@gmail.com: Bloomfilter search preceded
by primary index lookup after secondary index search is nothing but
overhead since all primary keys returned from secondary indexes are all
valid and exist.
https://code.google.com/p/asterixdb/issues/detail?id=925

That's correct. I missed that.
But still the possibility to see the deleted secondary key from the
secondary index in reality could be very low.
We need to profile the pros and cons of using bloomfilter in this situation.
Probably, pin/unpin will be the major cost if the page is not in the
buffercache already plus the overhead of going through buffer cache's
critical section. Other than that, computing hash value will be the next
major cost.

Comment #1 on issue 925 by kiss...@gmail.com: Bloomfilter search preceded
by primary index lookup after secondary index search is nothing but
overhead since all primary keys returned from secondary indexes are all
valid and exist.
https://code.google.com/p/asterixdb/issues/detail?id=925

I just captured Yingyi's question here:

Posted by Yingyi Bu <bu...@gmail.com>.
In theory, a returned primary key could be deleted because secondary index
search does not lock anything...
Is the overhead mostly from pin/un-pin BF pages?

Best,
Yingyi